When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
Accrington girl treated for burns after candle set fire to bed
A YOUNGSTER was treated for burns in hospital after a candle left alight set fire to her bed.
The girl awoke at her home in Wellington Court, Nelson Street, Accrington, on Saturday morning to find her bed was on fire.
Along with her mum she managed to get outside and the fire service were called to deal with the fire.
The incident happened at 6am on Saturday. There were no working smoke alarms in the property.
Watch manager Tony Spencer, from Accrington fire station, said the girl had been extremely lucky.
He said: “We were alerted to it as a ground floor flat that was on fire. When we arrived everyone had got out on their own.
“The daughter had burns to her arms and stomach and the mum had suffered some smoke inhalation. It looks like the young girl had left a candle burning and she woke with her bed on fire.
“There should have been smoke alarms but they did not have them, but fortunately she woke up. It could have been a lot more serious.
“Obviously a working smoke alarm would have helped.
“We can supply working smoke alarms for free and all people need to do is ring their local fire station.”
Yesterday, debris including a bed, mattress and bags of burned items from the child’s bedroom could be seen outside the property.
One neighbour who lives above the blaze-affected house said: “I didn’t know anything about the fire and then I saw the lights of fire engines.”
Comments are closed on this article.