When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
£30,000 pledge to Darwen Live music festival
PREPARATIONS are already under way for next year’s Darwen Live music festival.
Darwen Town Council has announced it will put up a maximum of £30,000 to make sure the hugely popular event stays on the town’s 2013 calendar.
No acts have yet been confirmed for the two-day festival, but organisers have said they are already in talks with some excellent headline performers.
Highlights this year included Jennie ‘Belle Star’ Matthias, who headlined the main stage on the Sunday, and ska revival group The Beat, who closed the festival on the Monday night.
Trevor Maxfield, deputy chairman of Darwen Town council and one of the event’s organisers, said it would be great to bring the whole community together again. He said: “The festival has been going for quite a few years now and a lot of people have really enjoyed it.
“We are hoping to bring even more bands next year.”
Coun Maxfield added: “It is nice to have something that brings the whole community together and it is really good for businesses too.
“Hopefully we will get good weather on both days next time.”
Adam Hulme, general manager at The Bridgewater, in Church Street, said it was excellent news that the festival had been confirmed to take place over two days again, which would really help local businesses.
He said: “Talking to the pubs, they all said how well they did out of the festival and how much they are looking forward to it again next year.
“The fact that the council is backing it is just fabulous news. They do so much for the town and it just brings it all together.
“It is run as a family-orientated event and it is incredible for local businesses. Everybody does very well out of it.”
Comments are closed on this article.