Mum and daughter flee Darwen blaze

First published in Darwen
Last updated

A WOMAN and her three-year-old daughter escaped after fire broke out in their bathroom.

Firefighters were called to the property in Watery Lane, Darwen, at around 9pm on Wednesday.

Crew manager Darryl Wood said the pair had been lucky.

He said: “The woman had run a bath and put candles around it while her child was in bed.

“Whilst she was downstairs, the candles melted the side of the bath surround which ignited other items in the bathroom.

“She smelt the smoke, grabbed her daughter, and raised the alarm.

“The bathroom was destroyed by fire and there was smoke damage to the hallway.

“They were very lucky. There was no smoke alarm at the property and it could have been much worse.”

The mother and daughter were taken to hospital as a precaution.

Comments (3)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:32pm Sat 16 Feb 13

trevhd says...

silly moo
silly moo trevhd
  • Score: 1

9:25pm Mon 18 Feb 13

Black Car Guy. says...

Was she drunk? Or does she have no idea at all?
Was she drunk? Or does she have no idea at all? Black Car Guy.
  • Score: 0

8:50am Tue 19 Feb 13

King Fabulous says...

This is nothing more than natural selection, She will be making toast in the bath next.
This is nothing more than natural selection, She will be making toast in the bath next. King Fabulous
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree