When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
Freddie Starr stays silent over Blackburn no-show
6:00pm Tuesday 9th October 2012 in News
FREDDIE Starr yesterday remained tight lipped as to why he failed to turn up for his Blackburn show at King George’s Hall this weekend.
Sound and lighting company Arran Paul Audio Ltd confirmed they were cancelled by Mr Starr before they were due to turn up at King George’s Hall at 2pm on Saturday.
However an explanation as to why the under-fire star did not show without sending word to the venue was still not forthcoming.
Some 250 disappointed fans were told the show was off at 6.30pm when staff at King George’s Hall finally gave up hope of him appearing at the last minute.
Yesterday Blackburn with Darwen Council, which oversees the venue said an explanation had still not been offered to King George’s Hall’s management.
The Lancashire Telegraph also tried several times to contact Mr Starr and his representatives yesterday without success.
Arran Paul Audio said they had not shown up due to a cancellation from Mr Starr.
Angry fans told the Lancashire Telegraph they had been let down and fans also posted complaints online.
Fan Fiona White posted on Freddie’s fanclub page: “May I take this opportunity Mr Starr to vent my dissapointment! Years ago I travelled from Sheffield to Lincoln to find that you had flu and cancelled. This time my husband-to-be has taken the night off work and we travelled a three-hour-round trip to Blackburn! And guess what, you have cancelled again! I have always worshipped you and your humour! But twice! No thanks!”
Freddie Starr’s Twitter feed did not mention the incident. Blackburn councillor Damian Talbot, Executive Member for Leisure said: “We were fully expecting Freddie Starr to turn up for his performance and have had no contact to say otherwise. We were left with a number of disappointed fans on the night. We are providing full refunds and would urge those seeking one to contact us immediately.”