Accrington takeaway boss saw his life’s work go up in smoke

AFTERMATH Workers clear the wreckage of the takeaway after the fire.

AFTERMATH Workers clear the wreckage of the takeaway after the fire.

First published in News Blackburn Citizen: Photograph of the Author by , Education reporter

THE DEVASTATED boss of a disaster-hit takeaway, said he faces rebuilding his entire livelihood after watching his business burn to the ground.

The Sahad takeaway building on Accrington’s Blackburn Road partially collapsed into the street three weeks ago and on Wednesday night the building was destroyed by a major fire.

Lancashire County Council said the road is likely to remain closed until late afternoon today. LCC plan to reopen one side of the road today and install a temporary traffic light system to remain in place while the buildings are considered unsafe.

Owner Mohammed Masood said he was shocked to see the business he had taken years to build, disappear in a few hours. He anticipates the clean-up operation at the site alone is likely to take weeks.

He said: “It was a thriving business and we never had any trouble, it seems all our bad luck has happened all at once. The place is a mess. There’s nothing left. Just dealing with the clean up and insurance companies will take weeks if not months.

“I don’t know what will happen next. Who knows how long it will take to get the business back up and running?

“It took me 13 years to get to where I was and I watched it go up in smoke in just a few hours.”

People were evacuated from their homes and crews from across East Lancashire were called on to help tackle the blaze. Flames shot out from the roof of the takeaway and thick black smoke could be seen from as far away as Burnley.

A few weeks ago the front of the building collapsed into the street which also led to evacuations and a road closure. The road was closed off again from from Tanpits Road.

An investigation is underway into the fire but police have said it is believed to have started accidentally in a flue.

Comments (20)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:36pm Fri 17 Aug 12

RUinsane says...

How convenient can you get.
How convenient can you get. RUinsane
  • Score: 7

12:53pm Fri 17 Aug 12

Longside Bex says...

If this isn't an insurance job, then I'll take back what I say and eat some humble pie.
If this isn't an insurance job, then I'll take back what I say and eat some humble pie. Longside Bex
  • Score: 8

1:01pm Fri 17 Aug 12

accy lad and proud says...

Has he got a cat called Lucky !!!
Has he got a cat called Lucky !!! accy lad and proud
  • Score: 4

1:25pm Fri 17 Aug 12

Your ferret stinks says...

This man has got more front than Blackpool!
This man has got more front than Blackpool! Your ferret stinks
  • Score: 4

1:49pm Fri 17 Aug 12

harwoodlogic says...

more front than his shop
more front than his shop harwoodlogic
  • Score: 5

3:30pm Fri 17 Aug 12

Stuart Farquar says...

'More front than Brighton'
'More front than Brighton' Stuart Farquar
  • Score: -1

3:34pm Fri 17 Aug 12

GIBUCK says...

Well let's face it, the authorities have clamped down on whiplash claims so next best thing try and have your building collapse, if that fails stuff the extractor with rubbish and ignite it......one way or another he wants his premiums back with interest and a little extra ...................
Well let's face it, the authorities have clamped down on whiplash claims so next best thing try and have your building collapse, if that fails stuff the extractor with rubbish and ignite it......one way or another he wants his premiums back with interest and a little extra ................... GIBUCK
  • Score: 2

4:08pm Fri 17 Aug 12

ossybolt says...

In japan the roads were open 1 week after a Tsunami ,Blackburn road has been single carrigeway for 3 weeks! Who pays for traffic lights and
scaffolding?
In japan the roads were open 1 week after a Tsunami ,Blackburn road has been single carrigeway for 3 weeks! Who pays for traffic lights and scaffolding? ossybolt
  • Score: 3

4:54pm Fri 17 Aug 12

Izanears says...

Longside Bex wrote:
If this isn't an insurance job, then I'll take back what I say and eat some humble pie.
Do they serve that as well?
[quote][p][bold]Longside Bex[/bold] wrote: If this isn't an insurance job, then I'll take back what I say and eat some humble pie.[/p][/quote]Do they serve that as well? Izanears
  • Score: 1

7:16pm Fri 17 Aug 12

Venomp says...

There you go, the owner revealed the truth
There you go, the owner revealed the truth Venomp
  • Score: 1

7:59pm Fri 17 Aug 12

woolywords says...

I wish to apologise for my comments written under an earlier article that has now been replaced by this one..

My comment went along the lines that, given the short space of time between the collapse of the store frontage and this subsequent fire, I wouldn't be surprised if this shop was not open this weekend. My thinking was that this was a flue fire and not as it turns out, complete conflagration.

I wish to cite LT as to being the foundation of my proposition in that it open again within days. The poor quality reportage led me to believe that this was a minor fire that only involved a flue and not the entire building.
That aside, as if you could easily brush away such a calamity, I hope that Mr Masood would consider naming his next business Phoenix, as in something of beauty that rises from the ashes or better yet, Salamander.

Salamander is a grill used in the best of restaurants for cooking and is a legend in it's own right. Asbestos was sold to the Chinese as being Salamander wool because it resisted fire. Food for thought..
As I said before, and repeat here, as I'm sure that you are reading this, I wish you well for the future...
I wish to apologise for my comments written under an earlier article that has now been replaced by this one.. My comment went along the lines that, given the short space of time between the collapse of the store frontage and this subsequent fire, I wouldn't be surprised if this shop was not open this weekend. My thinking was that this was a flue fire and not as it turns out, complete conflagration. I wish to cite LT as to being the foundation of my proposition in that it open again within days. The poor quality reportage led me to believe that this was a minor fire that only involved a flue and not the entire building. That aside, as if you could easily brush away such a calamity, I hope that Mr Masood would consider naming his next business Phoenix, as in something of beauty that rises from the ashes or better yet, Salamander. Salamander is a grill used in the best of restaurants for cooking and is a legend in it's own right. Asbestos was sold to the Chinese as being Salamander wool because it resisted fire. Food for thought.. As I said before, and repeat here, as I'm sure that you are reading this, I wish you well for the future... woolywords
  • Score: -1

10:49pm Fri 17 Aug 12

Babbar Divino says...

What bad luck Mohammed. I hope you bad luck doesn't continue because I reckon you'll be lucky not to go to prison for this. It would be interesting to know the details behind who actually owns the building and the insurance cover provided because of the collapse against the insurance cover if it burnt down.
What bad luck Mohammed. I hope you bad luck doesn't continue because I reckon you'll be lucky not to go to prison for this. It would be interesting to know the details behind who actually owns the building and the insurance cover provided because of the collapse against the insurance cover if it burnt down. Babbar Divino
  • Score: 3

11:35pm Fri 17 Aug 12

retired one says...

If at first you don't succeed !!!!!!
If at first you don't succeed !!!!!! retired one
  • Score: 4

6:35am Sat 18 Aug 12

Falconer24 says...

This shop aint been open for years! Are people so thick that they cant see a claim
This shop aint been open for years! Are people so thick that they cant see a claim Falconer24
  • Score: 2

11:00am Sat 18 Aug 12

Stuart Farquar says...

Falconer24 wrote:
This shop aint been open for years! Are people so thick that they cant see a claim
Yup
[quote][p][bold]Falconer24[/bold] wrote: This shop aint been open for years! Are people so thick that they cant see a claim[/p][/quote]Yup Stuart Farquar
  • Score: 1

7:31pm Sat 18 Aug 12

Chris P Bacon says...

Babbar Divino wrote:
What bad luck Mohammed. I hope you bad luck doesn't continue because I reckon you'll be lucky not to go to prison for this. It would be interesting to know the details behind who actually owns the building and the insurance cover provided because of the collapse against the insurance cover if it burnt down.
There's good news! His bad luck didn't continue, in fact, it reversed and became great good fortune. By an AMAZING co-incidence, he'd only just taken out a massive insurance policy mere days before this calamity befell him so he can count his blessings. The luck of some people, eh?
[quote][p][bold]Babbar Divino[/bold] wrote: What bad luck Mohammed. I hope you bad luck doesn't continue because I reckon you'll be lucky not to go to prison for this. It would be interesting to know the details behind who actually owns the building and the insurance cover provided because of the collapse against the insurance cover if it burnt down.[/p][/quote]There's good news! His bad luck didn't continue, in fact, it reversed and became great good fortune. By an AMAZING co-incidence, he'd only just taken out a massive insurance policy mere days before this calamity befell him so he can count his blessings. The luck of some people, eh? Chris P Bacon
  • Score: 1

8:54pm Sat 18 Aug 12

retired one says...

Chris P Bacon wrote:
Babbar Divino wrote:
What bad luck Mohammed. I hope you bad luck doesn't continue because I reckon you'll be lucky not to go to prison for this. It would be interesting to know the details behind who actually owns the building and the insurance cover provided because of the collapse against the insurance cover if it burnt down.
There's good news! His bad luck didn't continue, in fact, it reversed and became great good fortune. By an AMAZING co-incidence, he'd only just taken out a massive insurance policy mere days before this calamity befell him so he can count his blessings. The luck of some people, eh?
Well if this is the case, it should be investigated by the insurers.
[quote][p][bold]Chris P Bacon[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Babbar Divino[/bold] wrote: What bad luck Mohammed. I hope you bad luck doesn't continue because I reckon you'll be lucky not to go to prison for this. It would be interesting to know the details behind who actually owns the building and the insurance cover provided because of the collapse against the insurance cover if it burnt down.[/p][/quote]There's good news! His bad luck didn't continue, in fact, it reversed and became great good fortune. By an AMAZING co-incidence, he'd only just taken out a massive insurance policy mere days before this calamity befell him so he can count his blessings. The luck of some people, eh?[/p][/quote]Well if this is the case, it should be investigated by the insurers. retired one
  • Score: 0

10:47am Sun 19 Aug 12

Sirrius7 says...

There are far too many of these "takeaways" cluttering up the streets, why on earth people patronise them, I cannot imagine. The upstairs windows are always filthy,which should be a good indication of what state the kitchens are in.
There are far too many of these "takeaways" cluttering up the streets, why on earth people patronise them, I cannot imagine. The upstairs windows are always filthy,which should be a good indication of what state the kitchens are in. Sirrius7
  • Score: 1

9:23pm Sun 19 Aug 12

happiness says...

'And how would you like your fraudulent insurance claim, oops, sorry, steak done sir?'......
'And how would you like your fraudulent insurance claim, oops, sorry, steak done sir?'...... happiness
  • Score: 1

6:14pm Tue 21 Aug 12

baxter says...

This takeaway is probably the best and very busy every day so. I think your comments are very harsh and perhaps you are wrong to comment in the way you are, it will be a great loss to the local community and for me too as i go there most fridays for a fantastic homemade curry
This takeaway is probably the best and very busy every day so. I think your comments are very harsh and perhaps you are wrong to comment in the way you are, it will be a great loss to the local community and for me too as i go there most fridays for a fantastic homemade curry baxter
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree