East Lancs '40-stone' man 'craned' out of his house

East Lancs '40-stone' man 'craned' out of his house

RESCUE An aerial platform was used to rescue David Hurst from his home on Belthorn Road

RESCUE A Fire engine platform used to lift ill man out of bedroom

First published in News

by Vanessa Cornall and Lisa Woodhouse

A MAN weighing an estimated 40 stones who had to be ‘craned’ from his home after needing urgent medical attention has died.

The man in his 40’s, named locally as David Hurst, had to be winched out of the upstairs front window of the home he shares with his elderly mother and brother Christopher yesterday.

Neighbours of Mr Hurst, in Belthorn Road, Belthorn, said they believed he had not left his house for around a decade.

One concerned neighbour said: “It was really shocking seeing the rescue unfold.

“There seemed to be fire engines everywhere and when they started to take the window out I was amazed.

“Mr Hurst was lifted out of the window by a cherrypicker. He is a very large gentleman.

“The emergency services deserve a medal for their kind actions.”

Fire crews from Blackburn, Darwen and Hyndburn were called to help with the rescue.

They removed the upstairs front window because Mr Hurst could not get out of the door.

They used specially designed bariatric equipment, which is used for overweight people, as part of the rescue.

Paramedics had initially been called at 1.40pm but found they were unable to move Mr Hurst themselves.

Mike Birks, crew manager from Blackburn fire station, said: “We had to make an assessment as to how to get this patient out of his bedroom. He was quite unwell.

“To get him down the stairs wasn’t an option.

“Hyndburn’s aerial ladder platform was requested and we have had to remove the window from the front of the property and use the crane facility so that we could hoist the patient on to the stretcher in the bedroom.

“Then the stretcher was attached to the ladder platform by a winch and then passed out of the window to the ambulance just like a crane.

“It was an awkward job.”

A fire officer from Darwen said paramedics had told crews Mr Hurst weighed approximately 40 stones.

He said: “We were informed with his weight as part of the operation so that we would know what equipment to use.”

Mr Hurst was then taken to hospital for treatment at Royal Blackburn Hospital and his death was confirmed today.

The neighbour said: “I have lived in Belthorn for 40 years and the Hurst family were here along time before me. The late Mr Hurst used to be a teacher at Witton Park High School.

“I have known something hadn’t been right at that house for a long time.

“I have tried to pop round and call on social services for help but nothing has been done.

“The garden had become overgrown and the curtains were permanently drawn.”

The ambulance service last night said it did not want to comment on the rescue.

Comments (23)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:22am Fri 13 Jul 12

Saeran says...

Why should this be news? Yet another invasion of some one's privacy by media
Why should this be news? Yet another invasion of some one's privacy by media Saeran
  • Score: 10

11:26am Fri 13 Jul 12

Lancs Lassie says...

This man obviously needs intervention and I hope that the hospital are in a position to provide it....without knowing all the facts, let's not judge
This man obviously needs intervention and I hope that the hospital are in a position to provide it....without knowing all the facts, let's not judge Lancs Lassie
  • Score: -1

11:40am Fri 13 Jul 12

darwenTower says...

My problem is that if he doesn't , or can't, leave his house, why on earth don't the people who are looking after him help him by NOT continuing to overfeed him.
My problem is that if he doesn't , or can't, leave his house, why on earth don't the people who are looking after him help him by NOT continuing to overfeed him. darwenTower
  • Score: 4

12:32pm Fri 13 Jul 12

Your ferret stinks says...

Lancs Lassie wrote:
This man obviously needs intervention and I hope that the hospital are in a position to provide it....without knowing all the facts, let's not judge
It's a little to late.
[quote][p][bold]Lancs Lassie[/bold] wrote: This man obviously needs intervention and I hope that the hospital are in a position to provide it....without knowing all the facts, let's not judge[/p][/quote]It's a little to late. Your ferret stinks
  • Score: 0

1:01pm Fri 13 Jul 12

Symboy21 says...

It can be a catch 22 for the feeders of these people. They feed them want they want because they don't want to upset them but they don't realise the damage they are doing.
It can be a catch 22 for the feeders of these people. They feed them want they want because they don't want to upset them but they don't realise the damage they are doing. Symboy21
  • Score: 3

1:23pm Fri 13 Jul 12

useyourhead says...

darwenTower wrote:
My problem is that if he doesn't , or can't, leave his house, why on earth don't the people who are looking after him help him by NOT continuing to overfeed him.
some people believe that's how you show love, there is no place for tough love and they continually give in because the patient is often very depressed and gets comfort from the food, very vicious circle indeed.
-
R.I.P and wish love and strength for those he has left behind.
[quote][p][bold]darwenTower[/bold] wrote: My problem is that if he doesn't , or can't, leave his house, why on earth don't the people who are looking after him help him by NOT continuing to overfeed him.[/p][/quote]some people believe that's how you show love, there is no place for tough love and they continually give in because the patient is often very depressed and gets comfort from the food, very vicious circle indeed. - R.I.P and wish love and strength for those he has left behind. useyourhead
  • Score: 2

1:51pm Fri 13 Jul 12

Info-warrior says...

darwenTower wrote:
My problem is that if he doesn't , or can't, leave his house, why on earth don't the people who are looking after him help him by NOT continuing to overfeed him.
R.I.P. Dave. My thoughts are with your loved ones.


When your in your forties you are responsible for your own actions and if people wish to eat themselves to death their isn't much anyone else can do or say to change their ways.

The NHS must have been aware of the state of health of this gentleman or at least his GP must have known that he was suffering with obesity which could have developed from other underlining issues that this gentleman may have had.

Which throws the whole issue of mental health in to why this incident was permitted to happen in our caring society..? Had this gentleman ever been for tests to determine why he wished to eat to such a state that emergency services are being deployed to administer care.

Just a few other options to consider before pointing the finger at this gentlemans family who must be quite upset at losing a loved one so publicly then to read on here that the wise posters of the LET are pointing the finger at them. WTF..? Those who have blamed his family for his death should hang their heads in shame.
[quote][p][bold]darwenTower[/bold] wrote: My problem is that if he doesn't , or can't, leave his house, why on earth don't the people who are looking after him help him by NOT continuing to overfeed him.[/p][/quote]R.I.P. Dave. My thoughts are with your loved ones. When your in your forties you are responsible for your own actions and if people wish to eat themselves to death their isn't much anyone else can do or say to change their ways. The NHS must have been aware of the state of health of this gentleman or at least his GP must have known that he was suffering with obesity which could have developed from other underlining issues that this gentleman may have had. Which throws the whole issue of mental health in to why this incident was permitted to happen in our caring society..? Had this gentleman ever been for tests to determine why he wished to eat to such a state that emergency services are being deployed to administer care. Just a few other options to consider before pointing the finger at this gentlemans family who must be quite upset at losing a loved one so publicly then to read on here that the wise posters of the LET are pointing the finger at them. WTF..? Those who have blamed his family for his death should hang their heads in shame. Info-warrior
  • Score: 3

3:08pm Fri 13 Jul 12

Twicki1 says...

My thoughts go out to this mans poor family but it's a bit unfair to start pointing the fingure, like you say you are responsible for yourself and although it is tragic it is a whole set of circumstances all of which are unknown which led to this awful incident. Maybe instead of the criticism we should look to thank the emergency services for there actions in trying to save this mans life and let it go to show the work they do no matter what.
My thoughts go out to this mans poor family but it's a bit unfair to start pointing the fingure, like you say you are responsible for yourself and although it is tragic it is a whole set of circumstances all of which are unknown which led to this awful incident. Maybe instead of the criticism we should look to thank the emergency services for there actions in trying to save this mans life and let it go to show the work they do no matter what. Twicki1
  • Score: 2

3:46pm Fri 13 Jul 12

ste.g says...

the telegraph should be ashamed of themselves printing this story.clearly no regard for the suffering this family are going through.havnt they suffered enough.
the telegraph should be ashamed of themselves printing this story.clearly no regard for the suffering this family are going through.havnt they suffered enough. ste.g
  • Score: -1

4:13pm Fri 13 Jul 12

ChairOnMyHead says...

I have No sympathy for people who allow themselves to become obese. There's plenty of help out there. The Government should stop DLA payments for massively overweight people because they only spend it on junk food. And this is the end result.
I have No sympathy for people who allow themselves to become obese. There's plenty of help out there. The Government should stop DLA payments for massively overweight people because they only spend it on junk food. And this is the end result. ChairOnMyHead
  • Score: -3

4:28pm Fri 13 Jul 12

darwenTower says...

Info-warrior wrote:
darwenTower wrote:
My problem is that if he doesn't , or can't, leave his house, why on earth don't the people who are looking after him help him by NOT continuing to overfeed him.
R.I.P. Dave. My thoughts are with your loved ones.


When your in your forties you are responsible for your own actions and if people wish to eat themselves to death their isn't much anyone else can do or say to change their ways.

The NHS must have been aware of the state of health of this gentleman or at least his GP must have known that he was suffering with obesity which could have developed from other underlining issues that this gentleman may have had.

Which throws the whole issue of mental health in to why this incident was permitted to happen in our caring society..? Had this gentleman ever been for tests to determine why he wished to eat to such a state that emergency services are being deployed to administer care.

Just a few other options to consider before pointing the finger at this gentlemans family who must be quite upset at losing a loved one so publicly then to read on here that the wise posters of the LET are pointing the finger at them. WTF..? Those who have blamed his family for his death should hang their heads in shame.
I'm pretty sure that the man was still alive when I posted my comment and that the LET have since edited the article.

Needless to say my thoughts are with the family but my point, as harsh as it is, stands.
I have far more sympathy for the poor man who has now died, he did not get the help he needed. In fact he was assisted in his self abuse.

Somebody had to bring him the food. Would it be different if it was drugs or alcohol?
[quote][p][bold]Info-warrior[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]darwenTower[/bold] wrote: My problem is that if he doesn't , or can't, leave his house, why on earth don't the people who are looking after him help him by NOT continuing to overfeed him.[/p][/quote]R.I.P. Dave. My thoughts are with your loved ones. When your in your forties you are responsible for your own actions and if people wish to eat themselves to death their isn't much anyone else can do or say to change their ways. The NHS must have been aware of the state of health of this gentleman or at least his GP must have known that he was suffering with obesity which could have developed from other underlining issues that this gentleman may have had. Which throws the whole issue of mental health in to why this incident was permitted to happen in our caring society..? Had this gentleman ever been for tests to determine why he wished to eat to such a state that emergency services are being deployed to administer care. Just a few other options to consider before pointing the finger at this gentlemans family who must be quite upset at losing a loved one so publicly then to read on here that the wise posters of the LET are pointing the finger at them. WTF..? Those who have blamed his family for his death should hang their heads in shame.[/p][/quote]I'm pretty sure that the man was still alive when I posted my comment and that the LET have since edited the article. Needless to say my thoughts are with the family but my point, as harsh as it is, stands. I have far more sympathy for the poor man who has now died, he did not get the help he needed. In fact he was assisted in his self abuse. Somebody had to bring him the food. Would it be different if it was drugs or alcohol? darwenTower
  • Score: 0

5:10pm Fri 13 Jul 12

bmca4916 says...

Why don't people in his position with help live downstairs with patio doors.it would save a lot of tax payers money and free up emergency services for more important jobs to do,I'm not judging the medical condition of him,but the more practical approach to the situation with people this size
Why don't people in his position with help live downstairs with patio doors.it would save a lot of tax payers money and free up emergency services for more important jobs to do,I'm not judging the medical condition of him,but the more practical approach to the situation with people this size bmca4916
  • Score: 0

5:55pm Fri 13 Jul 12

Saeran says...

ChairOnMyHead wrote:
I have No sympathy for people who allow themselves to become obese. There's plenty of help out there. The Government should stop DLA payments for massively overweight people because they only spend it on junk food. And this is the end result.
You simply have no clue as you are blinded by your ignorance
[quote][p][bold]ChairOnMyHead[/bold] wrote: I have No sympathy for people who allow themselves to become obese. There's plenty of help out there. The Government should stop DLA payments for massively overweight people because they only spend it on junk food. And this is the end result.[/p][/quote]You simply have no clue as you are blinded by your ignorance Saeran
  • Score: 3

12:03am Sat 14 Jul 12

Miss_Redd says...

My sympathies for this an and his family.

Dear Lancashire Telegraph,

I don't mind that you post these stories, the one about the teen who kills herself, or the alcoholic who gets hit by a car. What I would really appreciate would be your consideration of posting a helpful sentence at the end of these sorts of stories. Perhaps something like " if you, or someone you know are struggling with X, and would like some support- please call 12345-6789 (etc.).

Many thanks,
My sympathies for this an and his family. Dear Lancashire Telegraph, I don't mind that you post these stories, the one about the teen who kills herself, or the alcoholic who gets hit by a car. What I would really appreciate would be your consideration of posting a helpful sentence at the end of these sorts of stories. Perhaps something like " if you, or someone you know are struggling with X, and would like some support- please call 12345-6789 (etc.). Many thanks, Miss_Redd
  • Score: 6

12:49am Sat 14 Jul 12

Belthornian says...

If this deserves front page news, then God help Blackburn and the Telegraph. The Hurst's are a respectful but private familiy and should be left alone at this extremely upsetting time. Anybody sensationalising this story should be ashamed. Deepest symphathy.
If this deserves front page news, then God help Blackburn and the Telegraph. The Hurst's are a respectful but private familiy and should be left alone at this extremely upsetting time. Anybody sensationalising this story should be ashamed. Deepest symphathy. Belthornian
  • Score: 0

5:49pm Sat 14 Jul 12

superyob says...

A judge recently ruled that an anorexic should be force-fed for her own good. Obviously against her wishes. Why then, don't these same judges, rule that these people who choose or are helped to over-eat, be forced to eat a much reduced calory controlled diet, until they have reached a reasonable weight. I am fed up of hearing about how it can take a team of up to 10 'carers/helpers' to wash, support & do daily tasks for these people..... why all the wailing & moaning about smokers & drinkers and the "cost to the NHS it involves to treat them"
I don't know many smokers/boozers, who require teams of carers to help them get on with their lives?
And lets not forget the tax on fags & booze far outweighs the tax on a McDonalds or KFC.......
OBESE ??? no-ones fault but their own & those that feed them....prime example are Lancashires own celebrity skivers......the Chawners!!! 'nuff sed!
A judge recently ruled that an anorexic should be force-fed for her own good. Obviously against her wishes. Why then, don't these same judges, rule that these people who choose or are helped to over-eat, be forced to eat a much reduced calory controlled diet, until they have reached a reasonable weight. I am fed up of hearing about how it can take a team of up to 10 'carers/helpers' to wash, support & do daily tasks for these people..... why all the wailing & moaning about smokers & drinkers and the "cost to the NHS it involves to treat them" I don't know many smokers/boozers, who require teams of carers to help them get on with their lives? And lets not forget the tax on fags & booze far outweighs the tax on a McDonalds or KFC....... OBESE ??? no-ones fault but their own & those that feed them....prime example are Lancashires own celebrity skivers......the Chawners!!! 'nuff sed! superyob
  • Score: 1

5:59pm Sat 14 Jul 12

superyob says...

Symboy21 wrote:
It can be a catch 22 for the feeders of these people. They feed them want they want because they don't want to upset them but they don't realise the damage they are doing.
You mean they cant see how big they're getting? Pull the other one !
[quote][p][bold]Symboy21[/bold] wrote: It can be a catch 22 for the feeders of these people. They feed them want they want because they don't want to upset them but they don't realise the damage they are doing.[/p][/quote]You mean they cant see how big they're getting? Pull the other one ! superyob
  • Score: 0

6:01pm Sat 14 Jul 12

superyob says...

Symboy21 wrote:
It can be a catch 22 for the feeders of these people. They feed them want they want because they don't want to upset them but they don't realise the damage they are doing.
You mean they cant see how big they're getting? Pull the other one !
[quote][p][bold]Symboy21[/bold] wrote: It can be a catch 22 for the feeders of these people. They feed them want they want because they don't want to upset them but they don't realise the damage they are doing.[/p][/quote]You mean they cant see how big they're getting? Pull the other one ! superyob
  • Score: 0

6:10pm Sat 14 Jul 12

peely says...

ALways somebody else,s fault isn't, it?! Not ! It,s about time people started taking responsibilities for their own actions / lives and to stop expecting the rest of society to pick up the bill ! All these do-gooders / bleeding heart P C brigade need to get a reality check .
ALways somebody else,s fault isn't, it?! Not ! It,s about time people started taking responsibilities for their own actions / lives and to stop expecting the rest of society to pick up the bill ! All these do-gooders / bleeding heart P C brigade need to get a reality check . peely
  • Score: 0

6:10pm Sat 14 Jul 12

peely says...

ALways somebody else,s fault isn't, it?! Not ! It,s about time people started taking responsibilities for their own actions / lives and to stop expecting the rest of society to pick up the bill ! All these do-gooders / bleeding heart P C brigade need to get a reality check .
ALways somebody else,s fault isn't, it?! Not ! It,s about time people started taking responsibilities for their own actions / lives and to stop expecting the rest of society to pick up the bill ! All these do-gooders / bleeding heart P C brigade need to get a reality check . peely
  • Score: 0

10:04pm Sat 14 Jul 12

Miss_Redd says...

Task. Darn do gooders! Making You feel a bit irratable, eh? Course it does. Makes you do NO-gooders sort of stand out for what you are. ;)
Task. Darn do gooders! Making You feel a bit irratable, eh? Course it does. Makes you do NO-gooders sort of stand out for what you are. ;) Miss_Redd
  • Score: 0

6:52pm Sun 15 Jul 12

poo banger says...

absolutely no sympathy waste of tax payers money, should have put the upstairs window through tied a rope around his legs onto the tow bar of the ambulance and give it the beans.
absolutely no sympathy waste of tax payers money, should have put the upstairs window through tied a rope around his legs onto the tow bar of the ambulance and give it the beans. poo banger
  • Score: 0

9:29pm Sun 15 Jul 12

beagle says...

another greedy bast"*&rd fan gone.
UTC
another greedy bast"*&rd fan gone. UTC beagle
  • Score: -1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree