Anger as Blackburn business flooded again

Anger as Blackburn business flooded again

Anger as Blackburn business flooded again

First published in News

A BLACKBURN businessman has hit out after his cash and carry was flooded for the second time in a fortnight.

Ali Insar, manager at AJ Wholesale Cash and Carry in Dickens Street, Audley, blamed United Utilities after goods at his warehouse were destroyed following heavy rain on Thursday night.

The store has suffered a litany of flooding problems in the past year, but the water supplier denied it was to blame.

Mr Insar, who has managed the store for seven years, said recent work to fix a sewer had not prevented the flooding.

He said: “It has been an ongoing problem for a number of years. They’ve spent millions of pounds on the road outside to fix it but it hasn’t helped us.

“There is a rain water pipe which they haven’t connected properly. When they came out to correct it, they forgot to re-attach it properly.

“They only finished the most recent work two days ago and here we are again with the same problem.”

Mr Insar, 38, said a number of his customers had chosen to shop elsewhere because of the frequent disruption to the business.

He added: “I’m not sure how much longer we can go on. It’s becoming an almost daily occurence. We have lost a number of customers because when people change their shopping habits, they dont come back. We are fed up.”

Several premises in Dickens Street were hit by four deluges in two months last October and November, prompting Blackburn MP Jack Straw to meet with United Utilities to discuss the matter.

A United Utilities spokesman said: “We’re aware this property has suffered further internal flooding.

“We have carried out a number of activities on our sewer network to make sure this is not causing the issue.

“Our network engineer will continue to work with this business to help them identify the source, so this issue can be resolved once and for all.”

Comments (15)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:47pm Sun 24 Aug 14

2 for 5p ridesagain says...

Take a tip from me ; live on a hill .
Take a tip from me ; live on a hill . 2 for 5p ridesagain
  • Score: 7

9:51pm Sun 24 Aug 14

Oldmanofthemountains says...

2 for 5p ridesagain wrote:
Take a tip from me ; live on a hill .
Inevitably.....Y-A-A
-W-W-W-N!"
[quote][p][bold]2 for 5p ridesagain[/bold] wrote: Take a tip from me ; live on a hill .[/p][/quote]Inevitably.....Y-A-A -W-W-W-N!" Oldmanofthemountains
  • Score: -13

11:57pm Sun 24 Aug 14

Pigs on the wing says...

''The store has suffered a litany of flooding problems in the past year, but the water supplier denied it was to blame.

Mr Insar, who has managed the store for seven years''
....................
....................
....................
....................
.............
Ok, this has happened before, you've also had the shop for 7 years, yet you haven't the Intelligence to make sure that it wont happen again,(MORE FOOL YOU, IDIOT!) by making sure all your stock, is off the ground by at least 2 or 3 feet? That way, even if it flooded again, you'd be able to Sail through it unscathed.
''The store has suffered a litany of flooding problems in the past year, but the water supplier denied it was to blame. Mr Insar, who has managed the store for seven years'' .................... .................... .................... .................... ............. Ok, this has happened before, you've also had the shop for 7 years, yet you haven't the Intelligence to make sure that it wont happen again,(MORE FOOL YOU, IDIOT!) by making sure all your stock, is off the ground by at least 2 or 3 feet? That way, even if it flooded again, you'd be able to Sail through it unscathed. Pigs on the wing
  • Score: 16

2:14am Mon 25 Aug 14

BlackburnEyes says...

Pigs on the wing wrote:
''The store has suffered a litany of flooding problems in the past year, but the water supplier denied it was to blame.

Mr Insar, who has managed the store for seven years''
....................

....................

....................

....................

.............
Ok, this has happened before, you've also had the shop for 7 years, yet you haven't the Intelligence to make sure that it wont happen again,(MORE FOOL YOU, IDIOT!) by making sure all your stock, is off the ground by at least 2 or 3 feet? That way, even if it flooded again, you'd be able to Sail through it unscathed.
So how do you expect the customers to shop with 2 ft of water perhaps by canoe dozy kn*b...it his fault to expect rainwater not to flood his premises
[quote][p][bold]Pigs on the wing[/bold] wrote: ''The store has suffered a litany of flooding problems in the past year, but the water supplier denied it was to blame. Mr Insar, who has managed the store for seven years'' .................... .................... .................... .................... ............. Ok, this has happened before, you've also had the shop for 7 years, yet you haven't the Intelligence to make sure that it wont happen again,(MORE FOOL YOU, IDIOT!) by making sure all your stock, is off the ground by at least 2 or 3 feet? That way, even if it flooded again, you'd be able to Sail through it unscathed.[/p][/quote]So how do you expect the customers to shop with 2 ft of water perhaps by canoe dozy kn*b...it his fault to expect rainwater not to flood his premises BlackburnEyes
  • Score: 31

10:08am Mon 25 Aug 14

WhatTheWaterGaveMe says...

BlackburnEyes wrote:
Pigs on the wing wrote:
''The store has suffered a litany of flooding problems in the past year, but the water supplier denied it was to blame.

Mr Insar, who has managed the store for seven years''
....................


....................


....................


....................


.............
Ok, this has happened before, you've also had the shop for 7 years, yet you haven't the Intelligence to make sure that it wont happen again,(MORE FOOL YOU, IDIOT!) by making sure all your stock, is off the ground by at least 2 or 3 feet? That way, even if it flooded again, you'd be able to Sail through it unscathed.
So how do you expect the customers to shop with 2 ft of water perhaps by canoe dozy kn*b...it his fault to expect rainwater not to flood his premises
Maybe it's just me but losing a couple of days of custom is better than losing a couple of days of custom AND loads of stock. So yeah, maybe they should be keeping stock off the ground if its a recurring problem.
[quote][p][bold]BlackburnEyes[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Pigs on the wing[/bold] wrote: ''The store has suffered a litany of flooding problems in the past year, but the water supplier denied it was to blame. Mr Insar, who has managed the store for seven years'' .................... .................... .................... .................... ............. Ok, this has happened before, you've also had the shop for 7 years, yet you haven't the Intelligence to make sure that it wont happen again,(MORE FOOL YOU, IDIOT!) by making sure all your stock, is off the ground by at least 2 or 3 feet? That way, even if it flooded again, you'd be able to Sail through it unscathed.[/p][/quote]So how do you expect the customers to shop with 2 ft of water perhaps by canoe dozy kn*b...it his fault to expect rainwater not to flood his premises[/p][/quote]Maybe it's just me but losing a couple of days of custom is better than losing a couple of days of custom AND loads of stock. So yeah, maybe they should be keeping stock off the ground if its a recurring problem. WhatTheWaterGaveMe
  • Score: 7

11:02am Mon 25 Aug 14

:-)*_=¬^(~+/@:-) says...

HE better get used to it cos more rain is on its way
HE better get used to it cos more rain is on its way :-)*_=¬^(~+/@:-)
  • Score: 15

3:59pm Mon 25 Aug 14

johnley says...

if it was me, i would invest in 2 big mops, and some buckets.
if it was me, i would invest in 2 big mops, and some buckets. johnley
  • Score: 11

4:55pm Mon 25 Aug 14

bow1974 says...

With all that spare water i think he should take up the ice bucket challenge for charity you have 24 hours.
With all that spare water i think he should take up the ice bucket challenge for charity you have 24 hours. bow1974
  • Score: 29

11:38pm Mon 25 Aug 14

the beaver says...

Serves you right asking straw to sort it out what did you expect sunshine!!!
Serves you right asking straw to sort it out what did you expect sunshine!!! the beaver
  • Score: 3

2:37am Tue 26 Aug 14

Marky mark says...

Please give me money!!
Please give me money!! Marky mark
  • Score: 4

12:44pm Tue 26 Aug 14

HelmshoreMan2010 says...

WhatTheWaterGaveMe wrote:
BlackburnEyes wrote:
Pigs on the wing wrote:
''The store has suffered a litany of flooding problems in the past year, but the water supplier denied it was to blame.

Mr Insar, who has managed the store for seven years''
....................



....................



....................



....................



.............
Ok, this has happened before, you've also had the shop for 7 years, yet you haven't the Intelligence to make sure that it wont happen again,(MORE FOOL YOU, IDIOT!) by making sure all your stock, is off the ground by at least 2 or 3 feet? That way, even if it flooded again, you'd be able to Sail through it unscathed.
So how do you expect the customers to shop with 2 ft of water perhaps by canoe dozy kn*b...it his fault to expect rainwater not to flood his premises
Maybe it's just me but losing a couple of days of custom is better than losing a couple of days of custom AND loads of stock. So yeah, maybe they should be keeping stock off the ground if its a recurring problem.
Your asking him to give up 3ft of his space because of a problem somebody else should fix? Space isn't cheap and to waste the bottom 3ft of a warehouse is just ridiculous to even suggest.
[quote][p][bold]WhatTheWaterGaveMe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BlackburnEyes[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Pigs on the wing[/bold] wrote: ''The store has suffered a litany of flooding problems in the past year, but the water supplier denied it was to blame. Mr Insar, who has managed the store for seven years'' .................... .................... .................... .................... ............. Ok, this has happened before, you've also had the shop for 7 years, yet you haven't the Intelligence to make sure that it wont happen again,(MORE FOOL YOU, IDIOT!) by making sure all your stock, is off the ground by at least 2 or 3 feet? That way, even if it flooded again, you'd be able to Sail through it unscathed.[/p][/quote]So how do you expect the customers to shop with 2 ft of water perhaps by canoe dozy kn*b...it his fault to expect rainwater not to flood his premises[/p][/quote]Maybe it's just me but losing a couple of days of custom is better than losing a couple of days of custom AND loads of stock. So yeah, maybe they should be keeping stock off the ground if its a recurring problem.[/p][/quote]Your asking him to give up 3ft of his space because of a problem somebody else should fix? Space isn't cheap and to waste the bottom 3ft of a warehouse is just ridiculous to even suggest. HelmshoreMan2010
  • Score: -5

2:14pm Tue 26 Aug 14

fluffywand says...

OH dear, just did a search to find out where it was and seen this review for the shop!!
http://www.192.com/a
toz/business/blackbu
rn-bb1/cash-and-carr
y-wholesalers/aj-cas
h-carryblackburn-ltd
/1ac7284a-a45e-439b-
ad07-be19d40a1688/ug
c/
OH dear, just did a search to find out where it was and seen this review for the shop!! http://www.192.com/a toz/business/blackbu rn-bb1/cash-and-carr y-wholesalers/aj-cas h-carryblackburn-ltd /1ac7284a-a45e-439b- ad07-be19d40a1688/ug c/ fluffywand
  • Score: 1

3:55pm Tue 26 Aug 14

shirtbox says...

Give him a Straw.
Give him a Straw. shirtbox
  • Score: 1

6:14pm Tue 26 Aug 14

onsidecobra says...

Is this cash & carry on Dickens Street not opposite an old mill lodge? Just a thought.
Is this cash & carry on Dickens Street not opposite an old mill lodge? Just a thought. onsidecobra
  • Score: 0

12:45am Wed 27 Aug 14

thoroughbred says...

thank God it's not your home, look what the S Westerners suffer every year.
mop it up numpty!!!
thank God it's not your home, look what the S Westerners suffer every year. mop it up numpty!!! thoroughbred
  • Score: 1
Post a comment

Remember you are personally responsible for what you post on this site and must abide by our site terms. Do not post anything that is false, abusive or malicious. If you wish to complain, please use the ‘report this post’ link.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree