When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
Lower Darwen roof siege man jailed for two years
A MAN who carried out a three-hour rooftop siege has been jailed.
Stephen Carl Holden, 22, scaled a row of terraced houses in Lower Darwen and threw slates at vehicles during the late-night protest.
Police said he had been wanted for an assault earlier that evening.
After spending three hours on the roof in Empress Street from 11.30pm on March 7, he was talked down by specially trained officers from Lancashire Police’s support unit.
A cordon had been put in place so members of the public would not be hurt from him throwing tiles.
Cars and caravans were damaged as Holden, of Wolseley Street, Blackburn, hurled the slates from the roof.
When he was arrested, he was also found to be in possession of a large kitchen knife.
He pleaded guilty to common assault against Louise Baron, affray, possession of a bladed article and seven counts of destroying property. Mr Recorder John Gibson, sitting at Preston Crown Court, sentenced him to 24 months imprisonment.
Speaking after the hearing, Coun Jacqueline Slater, who represents the Fernhurst ward, said neighbours living in the street had been terrified during the siege.
She said: “I agree with the sentence because it gets another person off the street who could be dangerous.
“The siege caused quite a lot of trouble and people were scared.
“Young children live on that street as well.
“For the poor people next door, it was a nightmare.
“A few of the neighbours were frightened to leave their houses because of what happened.”