Fracking campaigners’ anger as Government passes bill

Blackburn Citizen: Fracking campaigners’ anger as Government passes bill Fracking campaigners’ anger as Government passes bill

ANTI-fracking campaigners have reacted furiously to a proposed new law that would make it easier for firms to drill under people’s homes.

The Government’s Infrastructure Bill could include measures to change the law so companies would not need permission from homeowners to drill under houses and land for shale oil and gas.

It is intended to remove a stumbling block for shale developers, who are already facing a ‘legal block’ of thousands of people across the country denying them permission under trespass laws to drill under their properties.

If fracking is given the go-ahead, massive reserves of underground shale gas are lying along the M65 corridor.

The British Geological Survey’s study of shale gas resources in Lancashire doubled estimates of reserves and extended the potential drilling area from Blackpool and the Fylde across the county.

But opponents have highlighted the potential for mini earthquakes, water contamination and gas coming through the taps.

The move, announced in the Queen’s Speech yesterday, sparked protests, with campaigners expected outside Burnley Town Hall last night ahead of a council meeting.

And in the Cotswolds, campaigners from Greenpeace held a protest outside the home of Prime Minister David Cameron.

Danielle Kay, from East Lancashire Against Fracking, said: “It worries me. I am gravely concerned.

“I seriously think if fracking is allowed to go ahead we are jeopardising our water, our air and our ability to grow agriculture.

“I do not think we have a future if fracking goes ahead.

“I think the Government is being very short-sighted and it outrages me they are ploughing it through when the public is so opposed to is. It is very scary.”

Blackburn MP Jack Straw has been a keen advocate of fracking in East Lancashire – and supports the Infrastructure Bill. He added: “I think it will produce benefits for the Lancashire community. What is crucial is that communities get a reasonable share of the revenue stream.”

Comments (16)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

2:28pm Thu 5 Jun 14

A Darener says...

“I think the Government is being very short-sighted and it outrages me they are ploughing it through when the public is so opposed to is. It is very scary.”
The public?...nobody has asked me and I am part of "the public" the sooner they start the better.
“I think the Government is being very short-sighted and it outrages me they are ploughing it through when the public is so opposed to is. It is very scary.” The public?...nobody has asked me and I am part of "the public" the sooner they start the better. A Darener
  • Score: 24

4:18pm Thu 5 Jun 14

ted1951 says...

A Darener wrote:
“I think the Government is being very short-sighted and it outrages me they are ploughing it through when the public is so opposed to is. It is very scary.”
The public?...nobody has asked me and I am part of "the public" the sooner they start the better.
I agree
[quote][p][bold]A Darener[/bold] wrote: “I think the Government is being very short-sighted and it outrages me they are ploughing it through when the public is so opposed to is. It is very scary.” The public?...nobody has asked me and I am part of "the public" the sooner they start the better.[/p][/quote]I agree ted1951
  • Score: 26

6:19pm Thu 5 Jun 14

phil kernot says...

The people who have the vote on this are the bent House of Lords mob , they all put money into this before it was even released to the press,,, this country is more than corrupt than we are allowed to see ,,, ,, vote ukip and it won't go. A head ,,, Cameron and his cronies have got big money invested in this ,,,
The people who have the vote on this are the bent House of Lords mob , they all put money into this before it was even released to the press,,, this country is more than corrupt than we are allowed to see ,,, ,, vote ukip and it won't go. A head ,,, Cameron and his cronies have got big money invested in this ,,, phil kernot
  • Score: -22

7:08pm Thu 5 Jun 14

child44 says...

Straw -you're not in Parliament to sit there and tell us what you think and want; you're there to represent the people of Blackburn in the House of Commons, to vote in a way that reflects the interests and wishes of the people you represent.
Straw -you're not in Parliament to sit there and tell us what you think and want; you're there to represent the people of Blackburn in the House of Commons, to vote in a way that reflects the interests and wishes of the people you represent. child44
  • Score: 28

7:27pm Thu 5 Jun 14

A Darener says...

And that is what he is doing, for once!
And that is what he is doing, for once! A Darener
  • Score: 19

7:36pm Thu 5 Jun 14

ConcernedOssy says...

child44 wrote:
Straw -you're not in Parliament to sit there and tell us what you think and want; you're there to represent the people of Blackburn in the House of Commons, to vote in a way that reflects the interests and wishes of the people you represent.
Absolutey ( sorry about using this word I abhor it but it fits !I Indeed he is totally useless and is not aware of his own electorate. he only strays from whatever planet he his on when it is ego boosting, lucrative,or vote catching for his replacement he shows even less concern than he had before and is probably looking towards a position in the house of useless geriatrics,sorry I meant lords who all well past the age of sensible reasoning and most really need treatment for their age related problems (senility maybe) he has now been sliding that way for years.
[quote][p][bold]child44[/bold] wrote: Straw -you're not in Parliament to sit there and tell us what you think and want; you're there to represent the people of Blackburn in the House of Commons, to vote in a way that reflects the interests and wishes of the people you represent.[/p][/quote]Absolutey ( sorry about using this word I abhor it but it fits !I Indeed he is totally useless and is not aware of his own electorate. he only strays from whatever planet he his on when it is ego boosting, lucrative,or vote catching for his replacement he shows even less concern than he had before and is probably looking towards a position in the house of useless geriatrics,sorry I meant lords who all well past the age of sensible reasoning and most really need treatment for their age related problems (senility maybe) he has now been sliding that way for years. ConcernedOssy
  • Score: 24

8:51pm Thu 5 Jun 14

Old age pensioner says...

child44 wrote:
Straw -you're not in Parliament to sit there and tell us what you think and want; you're there to represent the people of Blackburn in the House of Commons, to vote in a way that reflects the interests and wishes of the people you represent.
I thought that's what all MPs should do, do what the people say that puts them in office.
Must have got it wrong, where's there's a back hander to be made sod Joe Public!!!
[quote][p][bold]child44[/bold] wrote: Straw -you're not in Parliament to sit there and tell us what you think and want; you're there to represent the people of Blackburn in the House of Commons, to vote in a way that reflects the interests and wishes of the people you represent.[/p][/quote]I thought that's what all MPs should do, do what the people say that puts them in office. Must have got it wrong, where's there's a back hander to be made sod Joe Public!!! Old age pensioner
  • Score: 24

9:04pm Thu 5 Jun 14

jenkinsroy says...

Time has come NOW to get this lot out of government
they are only interested in money now and not us voters
they have just passed a new law that give the fracking company
rights to frack on our door steps without them breaking the law
so we could wake up one morning with a rig outside our homes
this is nothing to do with energy plane this is just to make money
for this government some rich person or company outside this county
And another thing i see the fracking is not being done outside their
home where the government m.p.s live .
They do not want the **** out side their home so they tell the fracking
company to go down the north west and frack .
Then they tell them to put the money into the government account and we
see none of it all we get is the **** out of the fracking and the noise 24.7
7 days a week and all the roads clogged up with their wagon 24.7
this government is now gone to far we now must make a stand and
start to get them out before 2015 now .
Time has come NOW to get this lot out of government they are only interested in money now and not us voters they have just passed a new law that give the fracking company rights to frack on our door steps without them breaking the law so we could wake up one morning with a rig outside our homes this is nothing to do with energy plane this is just to make money for this government some rich person or company outside this county And another thing i see the fracking is not being done outside their home where the government m.p.s live . They do not want the **** out side their home so they tell the fracking company to go down the north west and frack . Then they tell them to put the money into the government account and we see none of it all we get is the **** out of the fracking and the noise 24.7 7 days a week and all the roads clogged up with their wagon 24.7 this government is now gone to far we now must make a stand and start to get them out before 2015 now . jenkinsroy
  • Score: 21

1:27am Fri 6 Jun 14

clickhere says...

jenkinsroy wrote:
Time has come NOW to get this lot out of government
they are only interested in money now and not us voters
they have just passed a new law that give the fracking company
rights to frack on our door steps without them breaking the law
so we could wake up one morning with a rig outside our homes
this is nothing to do with energy plane this is just to make money
for this government some rich person or company outside this county
And another thing i see the fracking is not being done outside their
home where the government m.p.s live .
They do not want the **** out side their home so they tell the fracking
company to go down the north west and frack .
Then they tell them to put the money into the government account and we
see none of it all we get is the **** out of the fracking and the noise 24.7
7 days a week and all the roads clogged up with their wagon 24.7
this government is now gone to far we now must make a stand and
start to get them out before 2015 now .
Well, I suppose this diatribe is a point of view, and its very democratic that it can be aired. But it is completely barking.
[quote][p][bold]jenkinsroy[/bold] wrote: Time has come NOW to get this lot out of government they are only interested in money now and not us voters they have just passed a new law that give the fracking company rights to frack on our door steps without them breaking the law so we could wake up one morning with a rig outside our homes this is nothing to do with energy plane this is just to make money for this government some rich person or company outside this county And another thing i see the fracking is not being done outside their home where the government m.p.s live . They do not want the **** out side their home so they tell the fracking company to go down the north west and frack . Then they tell them to put the money into the government account and we see none of it all we get is the **** out of the fracking and the noise 24.7 7 days a week and all the roads clogged up with their wagon 24.7 this government is now gone to far we now must make a stand and start to get them out before 2015 now .[/p][/quote]Well, I suppose this diatribe is a point of view, and its very democratic that it can be aired. But it is completely barking. clickhere
  • Score: 26

7:12am Sat 7 Jun 14

jenkinsroy says...

clickhere says.
you said this about my comment YES
Well, I suppose this diatribe is a point of view, and its very democratic that it can be aired. But it is completely barking.
Well the facts say that in the north west there is a lot of gas under
the ground fact 1
The government are now going to change the law again to give the
fracking companies to frack under our home this will be brought in
next week fact 2
And they will frack with out telling you about it fact 3
Money is to be made by the rich here and the government will let them
get away with it for a large payment of them fact 4
And all we will be left with is the **** /noise/roads damaged /
and the most important the contamination of our area where we
live fact 5
This is a money making thing and it will go ahead no matter what we
say or do they will let them frack up this end of the county but
they will not let them in their backyard but they will take all the money
the fracking companies give them fact 6
Wait till they pull up outside of your home start fracking how will
be barking mad then you I support and your family this is no joke
this is a fact they will in government pass the new law next week fact 7
So if you are going to put a replay on my comments O.K.
P.S DO NOT make FUN of my comments they are put here and on
other web pages to inform people out here the changes to the law this government employment just to get more money in the pot
And keep looking for the wagons at the bottom of your street
it could be the fracking man O.K.thank you have a nice day
clickhere says. you said this about my comment YES Well, I suppose this diatribe is a point of view, and its very democratic that it can be aired. But it is completely barking. Well the facts say that in the north west there is a lot of gas under the ground fact 1 The government are now going to change the law again to give the fracking companies to frack under our home this will be brought in next week fact 2 And they will frack with out telling you about it fact 3 Money is to be made by the rich here and the government will let them get away with it for a large payment of them fact 4 And all we will be left with is the **** /noise/roads damaged / and the most important the contamination of our area where we live fact 5 This is a money making thing and it will go ahead no matter what we say or do they will let them frack up this end of the county but they will not let them in their backyard but they will take all the money the fracking companies give them fact 6 Wait till they pull up outside of your home start fracking how will be barking mad then you I support and your family this is no joke this is a fact they will in government pass the new law next week fact 7 So if you are going to put a replay on my comments O.K. P.S DO NOT make FUN of my comments they are put here and on other web pages to inform people out here the changes to the law this government employment just to get more money in the pot And keep looking for the wagons at the bottom of your street it could be the fracking man O.K.thank you have a nice day jenkinsroy
  • Score: -17

10:24am Sat 7 Jun 14

clickhere says...

@ jenkinsroy....
Rather like the times we had coal pits at the bottom of every road, I'll be happy (in least worse way) with PROPERLY regulated fracking 'at the bottom of my street' if that ensures the lights stay on and my house is heated. Just the job for when the wind doesn't blow, Putin turns the tap off the Straits of Hormuz and Suez Canal are blocked and the emerging nations can afford to pay more for gas than we can.
@ jenkinsroy.... Rather like the times we had coal pits at the bottom of every road, I'll be happy (in least worse way) with PROPERLY regulated fracking 'at the bottom of my street' if that ensures the lights stay on and my house is heated. Just the job for when the wind doesn't blow, Putin turns the tap off the Straits of Hormuz and Suez Canal are blocked and the emerging nations can afford to pay more for gas than we can. clickhere
  • Score: -15

12:05pm Sat 7 Jun 14

A Darener says...

Don't worry clickhere, jenkinsroy and all his tree hugging mates are disconnecting their electric and gas supplies and going back to burning candles and using renewable trees to heat and light their homes. Leaving the rest of us ample supplies of fracked gas, nuclear power, wind and solar powered energy. Etc.
Don't worry clickhere, jenkinsroy and all his tree hugging mates are disconnecting their electric and gas supplies and going back to burning candles and using renewable trees to heat and light their homes. Leaving the rest of us ample supplies of fracked gas, nuclear power, wind and solar powered energy. Etc. A Darener
  • Score: 16

6:49pm Sat 7 Jun 14

jenkinsroy says...

clickhere wrote:
@ jenkinsroy....
Rather like the times we had coal pits at the bottom of every road, I'll be happy (in least worse way) with PROPERLY regulated fracking 'at the bottom of my street' if that ensures the lights stay on and my house is heated. Just the job for when the wind doesn't blow, Putin turns the tap off the Straits of Hormuz and Suez Canal are blocked and the emerging nations can afford to pay more for gas than we can.
Why do you keep going on about PUTIN?
His he a friend of your i do not mention putin
in my comment .
my point is they will be NO PROPERLY REGULATED
FRACKING WANTS THEY START IT WILL BE A FREE FOR ALL
LIKE IN THE U.S.A AND THE E.U. O.K.
Also you must see someone about the fing you have with PUTIN O/K.
[quote][p][bold]clickhere[/bold] wrote: @ jenkinsroy.... Rather like the times we had coal pits at the bottom of every road, I'll be happy (in least worse way) with PROPERLY regulated fracking 'at the bottom of my street' if that ensures the lights stay on and my house is heated. Just the job for when the wind doesn't blow, Putin turns the tap off the Straits of Hormuz and Suez Canal are blocked and the emerging nations can afford to pay more for gas than we can.[/p][/quote]Why do you keep going on about PUTIN? His he a friend of your i do not mention putin in my comment . my point is they will be NO PROPERLY REGULATED FRACKING WANTS THEY START IT WILL BE A FREE FOR ALL LIKE IN THE U.S.A AND THE E.U. O.K. Also you must see someone about the fing you have with PUTIN O/K. jenkinsroy
  • Score: -17

7:19pm Sat 7 Jun 14

jenkinsroy says...

A Darener wrote:
Don't worry clickhere, jenkinsroy and all his tree hugging mates are disconnecting their electric and gas supplies and going back to burning candles and using renewable trees to heat and light their homes. Leaving the rest of us ample supplies of fracked gas, nuclear power, wind and solar powered energy. Etc.
Thank you for your comment on my fracking
as i can see in your reply you seem to think I am a green party
member ?sorry to disappoint you I AM NOT?
But I am a man that will at what ever cost to life and lim protect
my home and family.
I have tried to let you all know what this government plans for your
home and this county it is a fact all of us who comment on this now will
be DEAD before all the **** hit the fan and our grandchildren will be left
with it all to clean up but the problem is that some of their grandparents
that think it was ok to frack with outlooking at the impact of it ?
Have left them with nothing NO POWER/NO HOME/NO PLACE TO LIVE
this is only one of the problems we face?
I am NOT SAYING DON'T FRACK WHAT I SAY IS IT MUST BE CLEAN
AND SAFE RIGHT .
The problem is that this government is not for our benefit want to start
without looking at the impact of it they're only doing it to get more money
P.S just one last thing none of us here now will be around when all the
energy is used up.
by the way I USE TO LIVE WITH NO GAS OR ELECTRIC SO I THINK
I CAN DO IT AGAIN CAN YOU A Darener
[quote][p][bold]A Darener[/bold] wrote: Don't worry clickhere, jenkinsroy and all his tree hugging mates are disconnecting their electric and gas supplies and going back to burning candles and using renewable trees to heat and light their homes. Leaving the rest of us ample supplies of fracked gas, nuclear power, wind and solar powered energy. Etc.[/p][/quote]Thank you for your comment on my fracking as i can see in your reply you seem to think I am a green party member ?sorry to disappoint you I AM NOT? But I am a man that will at what ever cost to life and lim protect my home and family. I have tried to let you all know what this government plans for your home and this county it is a fact all of us who comment on this now will be DEAD before all the **** hit the fan and our grandchildren will be left with it all to clean up but the problem is that some of their grandparents that think it was ok to frack with outlooking at the impact of it ? Have left them with nothing NO POWER/NO HOME/NO PLACE TO LIVE this is only one of the problems we face? I am NOT SAYING DON'T FRACK WHAT I SAY IS IT MUST BE CLEAN AND SAFE RIGHT . The problem is that this government is not for our benefit want to start without looking at the impact of it they're only doing it to get more money P.S just one last thing none of us here now will be around when all the energy is used up. by the way I USE TO LIVE WITH NO GAS OR ELECTRIC SO I THINK I CAN DO IT AGAIN CAN YOU A Darener jenkinsroy
  • Score: -16

7:25pm Sat 7 Jun 14

A Darener says...

No I couldn't live without gas or electricity, but as you say we will be dead before we have to, so not really our problem. Selfish I know but what the heck! We only live once.
No I couldn't live without gas or electricity, but as you say we will be dead before we have to, so not really our problem. Selfish I know but what the heck! We only live once. A Darener
  • Score: 15

7:40pm Sat 7 Jun 14

jenkinsroy says...

clickhere wrote:
@ jenkinsroy....
Rather like the times we had coal pits at the bottom of every road, I'll be happy (in least worse way) with PROPERLY regulated fracking 'at the bottom of my street' if that ensures the lights stay on and my house is heated. Just the job for when the wind doesn't blow, Putin turns the tap off the Straits of Hormuz and Suez Canal are blocked and the emerging nations can afford to pay more for gas than we can.
BUT the lights will NOT STAY ON WHY
because you will not be label to pay for it so you will be cut off
by your suppler which will be some company out side this
county and when you ask the government for help they
will say it is out of our hands and when you say this is not right
you M.P. will say cannot help you then you will say why he or her
will then tell you ?you voted for this fracking did you not your
replay will be YES according to your comment .
and the replay form government will be nothing to do with us sorry
it is to do with you and your suppler.
This is why you must think about what this government will get out of it
and what you get out of it ?
AND FINELY IT WILL NOT BE REGULATED BECAUSE IF IT IS THE
FRACKING COMPANY WILL NOT COME?
This is why the government are changing the law NOW TO REMOVE
SOME OF THE REGULATION P.S. DO NOT TAKE MY WORD FOR IT ASK YOUR LOCAL M.P. TO ASK DAVID IN THE HOUSE AND SEE WHAT
REPLAY HE GETS HE WILL BE BRUSHED OF WITH A LOAD OF CRAP
AND NO ANSWER TO YOU QUESTION GO ON ASK HIM O.K.
[quote][p][bold]clickhere[/bold] wrote: @ jenkinsroy.... Rather like the times we had coal pits at the bottom of every road, I'll be happy (in least worse way) with PROPERLY regulated fracking 'at the bottom of my street' if that ensures the lights stay on and my house is heated. Just the job for when the wind doesn't blow, Putin turns the tap off the Straits of Hormuz and Suez Canal are blocked and the emerging nations can afford to pay more for gas than we can.[/p][/quote]BUT the lights will NOT STAY ON WHY because you will not be label to pay for it so you will be cut off by your suppler which will be some company out side this county and when you ask the government for help they will say it is out of our hands and when you say this is not right you M.P. will say cannot help you then you will say why he or her will then tell you ?you voted for this fracking did you not your replay will be YES according to your comment . and the replay form government will be nothing to do with us sorry it is to do with you and your suppler. This is why you must think about what this government will get out of it and what you get out of it ? AND FINELY IT WILL NOT BE REGULATED BECAUSE IF IT IS THE FRACKING COMPANY WILL NOT COME? This is why the government are changing the law NOW TO REMOVE SOME OF THE REGULATION P.S. DO NOT TAKE MY WORD FOR IT ASK YOUR LOCAL M.P. TO ASK DAVID IN THE HOUSE AND SEE WHAT REPLAY HE GETS HE WILL BE BRUSHED OF WITH A LOAD OF CRAP AND NO ANSWER TO YOU QUESTION GO ON ASK HIM O.K. jenkinsroy
  • Score: -17

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree