Campaign calls for staff to be on lookout for potential forced marriage victims

Blackburn Citizen: Shafilea Ahmed Shafilea Ahmed

A CAMPAIGNER against forced marriage is urging schools to be on the look-out for potential victims this summer.

Alex Jones, who founded a nationwide campaign dedicated to murdered Shafilea Ahmed, said although there had been considerable progress, education institutions were ‘still refusing to tackle’ the issue.

Shafilea ran away to Blackburn before being killed by her parents bec-ause she was Westernised, and refused to obey them.

Mr Jones, from It’s my right - No Forced Marriages, said her situation could potentially be happening to others in East Lancashire, and he urged teach-ers to take more responsibility when it comes to spotting those who could be at risk.

Shafilea’s parents Iftikhar and Farzana Ahmed were jailed for life in 2012 after being convicted of their daughter’s murder.

Mr Jones said: “We can’t have this continuation of those who reach out from despair to try and find hope, to only find it’s met with an open culture of dismissal. To have this degrades the courage of those who have fought to reach out.

“Schools need to realise that forced marriage isn’t a minority issue, it’s a hum-an rights one.”

He said preventative measures taken throughout the school year could stop youngsters being taken away during the long summer break.

Mr Jones added: “Action is pivotal to saving lives. The frontline of protection starts in the classroom.

“The fundamental messages that we must get them to realise are that nobody can be allowed to go missing. It’s everyone’s right to be educated, to have a life of their own choices, and to be free to choose who they marry.”

Les Turner, Lancashire secretary for the National Association of Headteach-ers, said teachers were passionate about keeping their pupils safe, and worked closely with social ser-vices and the police to tackle the problem.

He said: “Schools are being blamed for the probl-ems in our society, but schools do not create society’s problems, they have to deal with them.

“Teachers try to confront the issue and schools have a responsibility to safeguard children.

“Therefore, to turn around and say schools do not take seriously the problem of forced marriage is absolutely ludicrous.

“Any teacher, or member of staff in a school, that does not try to confront that issue is failing in their responsibility.”

Comments (18)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

2:20pm Wed 4 Jun 14

Old age pensioner says...

God where allowed to comment, well done LT.

For this girl to be murdered by her family is a personal disaster, as the younger Asian generation grow up over here they will want to go out and mix with other people, there was the odd time I disobeyed my parents and I got a good hiding from my Dad, in later life he told me that's what his generation did, today we don't do that sort of thing although it did teach me right from wrong.
The older Asian generation are going to have to let go slowly but surely, and as different generations grow up these happenings will be in time a thing of the past (hopefully).
God where allowed to comment, well done LT. For this girl to be murdered by her family is a personal disaster, as the younger Asian generation grow up over here they will want to go out and mix with other people, there was the odd time I disobeyed my parents and I got a good hiding from my Dad, in later life he told me that's what his generation did, today we don't do that sort of thing although it did teach me right from wrong. The older Asian generation are going to have to let go slowly but surely, and as different generations grow up these happenings will be in time a thing of the past (hopefully). Old age pensioner
  • Score: 14

3:05pm Wed 4 Jun 14

shytalk says...

Correct me if i am wrong but is this not the same as human trafficking. or false imprisonment and should it not attract the same penalties?
Never seen any court cases involving forced marriage though have you?
I wonder why that is.
Correct me if i am wrong but is this not the same as human trafficking. or false imprisonment and should it not attract the same penalties? Never seen any court cases involving forced marriage though have you? I wonder why that is. shytalk
  • Score: 8

3:49pm Wed 4 Jun 14

noddy57 says...

ln the united kingdom we cannot allow such outdated ideology,forced marriage is illegal in this democracy and if you don,t accept it then l suggest you return to a country that allows it . l can understand old traditions of the muslim communities but this is the 21st century we should not even be discussing this.
ln the united kingdom we cannot allow such outdated ideology,forced marriage is illegal in this democracy and if you don,t accept it then l suggest you return to a country that allows it . l can understand old traditions of the muslim communities but this is the 21st century we should not even be discussing this. noddy57
  • Score: 6

3:54pm Wed 4 Jun 14

Izanears says...

The older Asian generation are going to have to let go slowly but surely, and as different generations grow up these happenings will be in time a thing of the past (hopefully).
I wish you could be right OAP,but it just won't happen for a number of reasons. One is that when immigration from the Indian sub continent first began in the 50's, the powers that be mistakenly claimed that there would be no problem because after a couple of generations they would have adopted our way of life. Look around you and tell me if this has happened.
Another reason is that as the old Asian generation has died off, they have been replaced by younger extremely vociferous zealots who are more than ever determined to maintain traditions and customs. Check out what is happening in schools in Birmingham, Bradford and elsewhere. Like many I would like to see integration, but I am sorry to say it will never happen.
The older Asian generation are going to have to let go slowly but surely, and as different generations grow up these happenings will be in time a thing of the past (hopefully). I wish you could be right OAP,but it just won't happen for a number of reasons. One is that when immigration from the Indian sub continent first began in the 50's, the powers that be mistakenly claimed that there would be no problem because after a couple of generations they would have adopted our way of life. Look around you and tell me if this has happened. Another reason is that as the old Asian generation has died off, they have been replaced by younger extremely vociferous zealots who are more than ever determined to maintain traditions and customs. Check out what is happening in schools in Birmingham, Bradford and elsewhere. Like many I would like to see integration, but I am sorry to say it will never happen. Izanears
  • Score: 12

4:48pm Wed 4 Jun 14

Excluded again says...

Ironically, the greater awareness of forced marriage is because the younger generation of Asian Muslims (especially the young women) will no longer accept it. They are integrating more than the older generations.

For the first generation of immigrants, they carried on the ways of their country of origin and their sons and daughters basically went along. So nothing was heard of forced marriages. But now we are into the third or fourth generations, the grandchildren and great grandchildren of those immigrants have been brought up in this country and like the freedoms that we enjoy. So they won't just go along with the family's wishes.

As young Asian Muslim women won't go along with the family's wishes some families try to force them - hence more attempts at forced marriages. And why, for the first time, forced marriages were made illegal in this country in 2007.
Ironically, the greater awareness of forced marriage is because the younger generation of Asian Muslims (especially the young women) will no longer accept it. They are integrating more than the older generations. For the first generation of immigrants, they carried on the ways of their country of origin and their sons and daughters basically went along. So nothing was heard of forced marriages. But now we are into the third or fourth generations, the grandchildren and great grandchildren of those immigrants have been brought up in this country and like the freedoms that we enjoy. So they won't just go along with the family's wishes. As young Asian Muslim women won't go along with the family's wishes some families try to force them - hence more attempts at forced marriages. And why, for the first time, forced marriages were made illegal in this country in 2007. Excluded again
  • Score: 9

5:37pm Wed 4 Jun 14

Alex_campaigner says...

Thank you for everyone who has read this article. You can be a part of the campaign on facebook

In memory of Shafilea Ahmed

https://www.facebook
.com/groups/shafilea
hmedmemorial/

https://www.facebook
.com/pages/Its-My-Ri
ght-No-Forced-Marria
ges/441643382612143
Thank you for everyone who has read this article. You can be a part of the campaign on facebook In memory of Shafilea Ahmed https://www.facebook .com/groups/shafilea hmedmemorial/ https://www.facebook .com/pages/Its-My-Ri ght-No-Forced-Marria ges/441643382612143 Alex_campaigner
  • Score: 0

6:32pm Wed 4 Jun 14

Old age pensioner says...

Izanears wrote:
The older Asian generation are going to have to let go slowly but surely, and as different generations grow up these happenings will be in time a thing of the past (hopefully).
I wish you could be right OAP,but it just won't happen for a number of reasons. One is that when immigration from the Indian sub continent first began in the 50's, the powers that be mistakenly claimed that there would be no problem because after a couple of generations they would have adopted our way of life. Look around you and tell me if this has happened.
Another reason is that as the old Asian generation has died off, they have been replaced by younger extremely vociferous zealots who are more than ever determined to maintain traditions and customs. Check out what is happening in schools in Birmingham, Bradford and elsewhere. Like many I would like to see integration, but I am sorry to say it will never happen.
The sad thing is I know what you say is true, at my age I don't think I will every see proper integration with the Asian community.
[quote][p][bold]Izanears[/bold] wrote: The older Asian generation are going to have to let go slowly but surely, and as different generations grow up these happenings will be in time a thing of the past (hopefully). I wish you could be right OAP,but it just won't happen for a number of reasons. One is that when immigration from the Indian sub continent first began in the 50's, the powers that be mistakenly claimed that there would be no problem because after a couple of generations they would have adopted our way of life. Look around you and tell me if this has happened. Another reason is that as the old Asian generation has died off, they have been replaced by younger extremely vociferous zealots who are more than ever determined to maintain traditions and customs. Check out what is happening in schools in Birmingham, Bradford and elsewhere. Like many I would like to see integration, but I am sorry to say it will never happen.[/p][/quote]The sad thing is I know what you say is true, at my age I don't think I will every see proper integration with the Asian community. Old age pensioner
  • Score: 2

7:09pm Wed 4 Jun 14

Steven Seagull says...

In the United Kingdom in 2014 we are urging teachers to look out for signs of a practice which frankly belongs in the stoneage.

Forced marriage, honour killings - why do we insist on giving these criminal acts their own category? As a previous poster has already stated, which ever way you try flower it up its simply false imprisonment, kidnap and human trafficking and should be dealt with as such. In fact "forced marriages" should be a specific criminal offence in this country.

These backward, antiquated and barbaric "traditions" don't belong anywhere in a democratic society so if the organisers of such shambolic practices want to carry on this behaviour as part of their religious heritage then please take it with you to the third world backward cesspit from whence you came.
In the United Kingdom in 2014 we are urging teachers to look out for signs of a practice which frankly belongs in the stoneage. Forced marriage, honour killings - why do we insist on giving these criminal acts their own category? As a previous poster has already stated, which ever way you try flower it up its simply false imprisonment, kidnap and human trafficking and should be dealt with as such. In fact "forced marriages" should be a specific criminal offence in this country. These backward, antiquated and barbaric "traditions" don't belong anywhere in a democratic society so if the organisers of such shambolic practices want to carry on this behaviour as part of their religious heritage then please take it with you to the third world backward cesspit from whence you came. Steven Seagull
  • Score: 9

7:34pm Wed 4 Jun 14

Excluded again says...

Steven Seagull wrote:
In the United Kingdom in 2014 we are urging teachers to look out for signs of a practice which frankly belongs in the stoneage.

Forced marriage, honour killings - why do we insist on giving these criminal acts their own category? As a previous poster has already stated, which ever way you try flower it up its simply false imprisonment, kidnap and human trafficking and should be dealt with as such. In fact "forced marriages" should be a specific criminal offence in this country.

These backward, antiquated and barbaric "traditions" don't belong anywhere in a democratic society so if the organisers of such shambolic practices want to carry on this behaviour as part of their religious heritage then please take it with you to the third world backward cesspit from whence you came.
Force marriage is a specific criminal offence in this country and has been since the Forced Marriage Act 2007.
[quote][p][bold]Steven Seagull[/bold] wrote: In the United Kingdom in 2014 we are urging teachers to look out for signs of a practice which frankly belongs in the stoneage. Forced marriage, honour killings - why do we insist on giving these criminal acts their own category? As a previous poster has already stated, which ever way you try flower it up its simply false imprisonment, kidnap and human trafficking and should be dealt with as such. In fact "forced marriages" should be a specific criminal offence in this country. These backward, antiquated and barbaric "traditions" don't belong anywhere in a democratic society so if the organisers of such shambolic practices want to carry on this behaviour as part of their religious heritage then please take it with you to the third world backward cesspit from whence you came.[/p][/quote]Force marriage is a specific criminal offence in this country and has been since the Forced Marriage Act 2007. Excluded again
  • Score: 7

8:45pm Wed 4 Jun 14

Alex_campaigner says...

It will become a criminal offence in its own right in June.
It will become a criminal offence in its own right in June. Alex_campaigner
  • Score: 5

10:25pm Wed 4 Jun 14

Steven11 says...

Steven Seagull wrote:
In the United Kingdom in 2014 we are urging teachers to look out for signs of a practice which frankly belongs in the stoneage.

Forced marriage, honour killings - why do we insist on giving these criminal acts their own category? As a previous poster has already stated, which ever way you try flower it up its simply false imprisonment, kidnap and human trafficking and should be dealt with as such. In fact "forced marriages" should be a specific criminal offence in this country.

These backward, antiquated and barbaric "traditions" don't belong anywhere in a democratic society so if the organisers of such shambolic practices want to carry on this behaviour as part of their religious heritage then please take it with you to the third world backward cesspit from whence you came.
Why is it that we get lumberd with these people from third world countries , the scum usually . We always get left to sort out their problems , at our expence while housing them and paying every benefit on offer . Ukip does sound attractive !
[quote][p][bold]Steven Seagull[/bold] wrote: In the United Kingdom in 2014 we are urging teachers to look out for signs of a practice which frankly belongs in the stoneage. Forced marriage, honour killings - why do we insist on giving these criminal acts their own category? As a previous poster has already stated, which ever way you try flower it up its simply false imprisonment, kidnap and human trafficking and should be dealt with as such. In fact "forced marriages" should be a specific criminal offence in this country. These backward, antiquated and barbaric "traditions" don't belong anywhere in a democratic society so if the organisers of such shambolic practices want to carry on this behaviour as part of their religious heritage then please take it with you to the third world backward cesspit from whence you came.[/p][/quote]Why is it that we get lumberd with these people from third world countries , the scum usually . We always get left to sort out their problems , at our expence while housing them and paying every benefit on offer . Ukip does sound attractive ! Steven11
  • Score: 0

8:47am Thu 5 Jun 14

Primus622 says...

Excluded again wrote:
Ironically, the greater awareness of forced marriage is because the younger generation of Asian Muslims (especially the young women) will no longer accept it. They are integrating more than the older generations.

For the first generation of immigrants, they carried on the ways of their country of origin and their sons and daughters basically went along. So nothing was heard of forced marriages. But now we are into the third or fourth generations, the grandchildren and great grandchildren of those immigrants have been brought up in this country and like the freedoms that we enjoy. So they won't just go along with the family's wishes.

As young Asian Muslim women won't go along with the family's wishes some families try to force them - hence more attempts at forced marriages. And why, for the first time, forced marriages were made illegal in this country in 2007.
Maybe some young asian women try to fight back but the cowardly brothers, cousins and fathers murder them....how very brave to beat and kill a young girl....not much greater family shame than that I would have thought.
[quote][p][bold]Excluded again[/bold] wrote: Ironically, the greater awareness of forced marriage is because the younger generation of Asian Muslims (especially the young women) will no longer accept it. They are integrating more than the older generations. For the first generation of immigrants, they carried on the ways of their country of origin and their sons and daughters basically went along. So nothing was heard of forced marriages. But now we are into the third or fourth generations, the grandchildren and great grandchildren of those immigrants have been brought up in this country and like the freedoms that we enjoy. So they won't just go along with the family's wishes. As young Asian Muslim women won't go along with the family's wishes some families try to force them - hence more attempts at forced marriages. And why, for the first time, forced marriages were made illegal in this country in 2007.[/p][/quote]Maybe some young asian women try to fight back but the cowardly brothers, cousins and fathers murder them....how very brave to beat and kill a young girl....not much greater family shame than that I would have thought. Primus622
  • Score: 5

11:04am Thu 5 Jun 14

zabby says...

Today's news,murder,drug gangs,kidnapper and torturer,not bad news for one day,thank you muslim community you are assets to society
Today's news,murder,drug gangs,kidnapper and torturer,not bad news for one day,thank you muslim community you are assets to society zabby
  • Score: -1

11:06am Thu 5 Jun 14

zabby says...

Excluded again wrote:
Steven Seagull wrote:
In the United Kingdom in 2014 we are urging teachers to look out for signs of a practice which frankly belongs in the stoneage.

Forced marriage, honour killings - why do we insist on giving these criminal acts their own category? As a previous poster has already stated, which ever way you try flower it up its simply false imprisonment, kidnap and human trafficking and should be dealt with as such. In fact "forced marriages" should be a specific criminal offence in this country.

These backward, antiquated and barbaric "traditions" don't belong anywhere in a democratic society so if the organisers of such shambolic practices want to carry on this behaviour as part of their religious heritage then please take it with you to the third world backward cesspit from whence you came.
Force marriage is a specific criminal offence in this country and has been since the Forced Marriage Act 2007.
May be but what's the point of this law when it very rarely gets used,and we all know why
[quote][p][bold]Excluded again[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Steven Seagull[/bold] wrote: In the United Kingdom in 2014 we are urging teachers to look out for signs of a practice which frankly belongs in the stoneage. Forced marriage, honour killings - why do we insist on giving these criminal acts their own category? As a previous poster has already stated, which ever way you try flower it up its simply false imprisonment, kidnap and human trafficking and should be dealt with as such. In fact "forced marriages" should be a specific criminal offence in this country. These backward, antiquated and barbaric "traditions" don't belong anywhere in a democratic society so if the organisers of such shambolic practices want to carry on this behaviour as part of their religious heritage then please take it with you to the third world backward cesspit from whence you came.[/p][/quote]Force marriage is a specific criminal offence in this country and has been since the Forced Marriage Act 2007.[/p][/quote]May be but what's the point of this law when it very rarely gets used,and we all know why zabby
  • Score: -3

11:27am Thu 5 Jun 14

Excluded again says...

zabby wrote:
Excluded again wrote:
Steven Seagull wrote:
In the United Kingdom in 2014 we are urging teachers to look out for signs of a practice which frankly belongs in the stoneage.

Forced marriage, honour killings - why do we insist on giving these criminal acts their own category? As a previous poster has already stated, which ever way you try flower it up its simply false imprisonment, kidnap and human trafficking and should be dealt with as such. In fact "forced marriages" should be a specific criminal offence in this country.

These backward, antiquated and barbaric "traditions" don't belong anywhere in a democratic society so if the organisers of such shambolic practices want to carry on this behaviour as part of their religious heritage then please take it with you to the third world backward cesspit from whence you came.
Force marriage is a specific criminal offence in this country and has been since the Forced Marriage Act 2007.
May be but what's the point of this law when it very rarely gets used,and we all know why
The Forced Marriages unit dealt with 1302 cases in 2013.

I guess it all depends on your definition of 'rarely'.
[quote][p][bold]zabby[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Excluded again[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Steven Seagull[/bold] wrote: In the United Kingdom in 2014 we are urging teachers to look out for signs of a practice which frankly belongs in the stoneage. Forced marriage, honour killings - why do we insist on giving these criminal acts their own category? As a previous poster has already stated, which ever way you try flower it up its simply false imprisonment, kidnap and human trafficking and should be dealt with as such. In fact "forced marriages" should be a specific criminal offence in this country. These backward, antiquated and barbaric "traditions" don't belong anywhere in a democratic society so if the organisers of such shambolic practices want to carry on this behaviour as part of their religious heritage then please take it with you to the third world backward cesspit from whence you came.[/p][/quote]Force marriage is a specific criminal offence in this country and has been since the Forced Marriage Act 2007.[/p][/quote]May be but what's the point of this law when it very rarely gets used,and we all know why[/p][/quote]The Forced Marriages unit dealt with 1302 cases in 2013. I guess it all depends on your definition of 'rarely'. Excluded again
  • Score: 2

12:50pm Thu 5 Jun 14

GracesDad says...

Alex_campaigner wrote:
It will become a criminal offence in its own right in June.
May I ask why you are involved in this campaign?
[quote][p][bold]Alex_campaigner[/bold] wrote: It will become a criminal offence in its own right in June.[/p][/quote]May I ask why you are involved in this campaign? GracesDad
  • Score: 1

1:15pm Fri 6 Jun 14

Alex_campaigner says...

I'm Anglo-Pakistani, I'm deeply passionate about being a part of making defining differences that will save lives from this torment and empowerment to break the barriers. I started the campaign. Shafilea Ahmed's story is where it started for me and I have never stopped. I knew that I had to make a difference. No life can be held behind barriers of silence, fear and abuse. Those who carry this out believe they are untouchable but their campaigns of hatred have no where left to go now. Empowerment is crucial and we all have a voice.

Here's the petition that we going as a part our campaign.

http://www.change.or
g/en-GB/petitions/mi
chael-gove-get-schoo
ls-to-take-action-on
-forced-marriage-and
-honour-based-violen
ce
I'm Anglo-Pakistani, I'm deeply passionate about being a part of making defining differences that will save lives from this torment and empowerment to break the barriers. I started the campaign. Shafilea Ahmed's story is where it started for me and I have never stopped. I knew that I had to make a difference. No life can be held behind barriers of silence, fear and abuse. Those who carry this out believe they are untouchable but their campaigns of hatred have no where left to go now. Empowerment is crucial and we all have a voice. Here's the petition that we going as a part our campaign. http://www.change.or g/en-GB/petitions/mi chael-gove-get-schoo ls-to-take-action-on -forced-marriage-and -honour-based-violen ce Alex_campaigner
  • Score: 0

1:16pm Fri 6 Jun 14

Alex_campaigner says...

Let's educate and empower together.
Let's educate and empower together. Alex_campaigner
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree