VIDEO: Cats being dumped on the street by struggling Blackburn families

Blackburn Citizen: The stray cat and three kittens taken in by Eunice Faulkner The stray cat and three kittens taken in by Eunice Faulkner

FAMILIES struggling to pay the bedroom tax in Blackburn with Darwen are being forced to dump their pets on the street, it has been claimed.

Eunice Faulkner runs Blackburn Cat Rescue from her home in Pleckgate Road, and spoke out after seeing a sharp increase in the number of pets left without homes.

Mrs Faulkner, who funds her cat rescue herself, spoke out after taking in a stray cat and her three kittens when they were rescued from an abandoned factory in Gate Street, Blackburn.

They were taken in after concerned passers-by noticed the cat hunting for food at the industrial unit.

She said: “I get at least one call a week from someone having to rehome their pet because of the bedroom tax, it’s that bad.

“People are being ushered out of their homes into something smaller, and then being told they can’t have pets or can only have one.

“One man said he had a rescued cat and a rescued dog and he was being forced to choose between the two.”

Denise Partridge, 58, was instrumental in rescuing the cat and kittens this week.

She said: “The cats were surviving off pigeons. The mum had been going in and out a hole to find food.”

Because the factory was not locked up, Denise said she and some friends went inside to help find the animals.

She said: “We called the RSPCA and an inspector came and dropped a safe trap off, but it took us almost two weeks to catch them all, and we thought two might have died.

“The cat is only about ten months old and the kittens are around eight weeks. The mum was underweight and would have died if we didn’t step in.”

After calling various organisations, Denise said only Eunice stepped in to help take care of the four cats.

She added: “She was the only person who stepped in to help. She said she couldn’t take anymore but nobody else took them so she stepped in.

“She pays for everything herself.”

The story was followed closely on social media sites, where Andy Richards posted regular updates.

When the last kitten was caught on Tuesday night, he wrote: “I was so worried this last one was going to be all alone for the night in there. This has been an incredible rescue by Denise and Eunice.”

Comments (21)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

5:07pm Fri 30 May 14

Old age pensioner says...

I got rid of the cat because of the bedroom tax, god give me strength, why did it have bedroom of its own and your now down sizing. Send your answers to the town hall on a postage stamp please!!
I got rid of the cat because of the bedroom tax, god give me strength, why did it have bedroom of its own and your now down sizing. Send your answers to the town hall on a postage stamp please!! Old age pensioner
  • Score: 16

5:41pm Fri 30 May 14

the beaver says...

So the cats survived off vermin they were obviously earning their keep why rescue them. And how much did liebor pay you to run this story. Rehome them at the town hall with the rest of the fat cats. I have never heard so much nonsense what a load of bull!!!
So the cats survived off vermin they were obviously earning their keep why rescue them. And how much did liebor pay you to run this story. Rehome them at the town hall with the rest of the fat cats. I have never heard so much nonsense what a load of bull!!! the beaver
  • Score: -10

6:01pm Fri 30 May 14

TheCaveman says...

Getting rid of their cats - if things get much worse they are going to have to cancel the Sky Sports package and the Iphone contract...........
Getting rid of their cats - if things get much worse they are going to have to cancel the Sky Sports package and the Iphone contract........... TheCaveman
  • Score: 28

6:04pm Fri 30 May 14

thoroughbred says...

Old age pensioner wrote:
I got rid of the cat because of the bedroom tax, god give me strength, why did it have bedroom of its own and your now down sizing. Send your answers to the town hall on a postage stamp please!!
Idiot...people are getting rid of their beloved pets, because bedroom tax has forced them to move into smaller home where pets are not allowed. Obviously not a choice YOU will ever have to make from your kennel!
[quote][p][bold]Old age pensioner[/bold] wrote: I got rid of the cat because of the bedroom tax, god give me strength, why did it have bedroom of its own and your now down sizing. Send your answers to the town hall on a postage stamp please!![/p][/quote]Idiot...people are getting rid of their beloved pets, because bedroom tax has forced them to move into smaller home where pets are not allowed. Obviously not a choice YOU will ever have to make from your kennel! thoroughbred
  • Score: -6

6:07pm Fri 30 May 14

thoroughbred says...

I've known Eunice for over 12 years, she is the kindest pet lover I know, taking in more cats when she's already full. Her premises are fabulous, her animals are clean and well cared for. I have two wonderful babies thanks to her. She's a Godsend.
I've known Eunice for over 12 years, she is the kindest pet lover I know, taking in more cats when she's already full. Her premises are fabulous, her animals are clean and well cared for. I have two wonderful babies thanks to her. She's a Godsend. thoroughbred
  • Score: 31

7:57pm Fri 30 May 14

karltop says...

A note for the LT. The "bedroom tax" is not a tax. It is a reduction in benefits. People living for free in taxpayer funded houses should not have pets.
A note for the LT. The "bedroom tax" is not a tax. It is a reduction in benefits. People living for free in taxpayer funded houses should not have pets. karltop
  • Score: 4

7:57pm Fri 30 May 14

chas1948 says...

Sorry it's just another excuse to dump pets
Sorry it's just another excuse to dump pets chas1948
  • Score: 15

8:38pm Fri 30 May 14

karltop says...

More and more excuses for the feckless, idle scum that this paper seems so keen to promote and protect. Pathetic.
More and more excuses for the feckless, idle scum that this paper seems so keen to promote and protect. Pathetic. karltop
  • Score: 13

9:11pm Fri 30 May 14

noddy57 says...

it could be worse, they could be children.
it could be worse, they could be children. noddy57
  • Score: -8

9:24pm Fri 30 May 14

Michael@ClitheroeSince58 says...

I love to call in and see how our local caring society is doing.
I love to call in and see how our local caring society is doing. Michael@ClitheroeSince58
  • Score: 12

9:32pm Fri 30 May 14

slants says...

i bet the neighbours are happy now they know
i bet the neighbours are happy now they know slants
  • Score: -3

10:47pm Fri 30 May 14

Old age pensioner says...

thoroughbred wrote:
Old age pensioner wrote:
I got rid of the cat because of the bedroom tax, god give me strength, why did it have bedroom of its own and your now down sizing. Send your answers to the town hall on a postage stamp please!!
Idiot...people are getting rid of their beloved pets, because bedroom tax has forced them to move into smaller home where pets are not allowed. Obviously not a choice YOU will ever have to make from your kennel!
And you genuinely believe what you have just said, well your the idiot not me, the bedroom tax is not a tax but a reduction in benifits because they have spare bedrooms whilst othe poor folk don't have adiquat housing, let me know where these hundreds of people have moved to, stop reading the papers mate stick to the facts, like some other posters on here state, when they get rid of Sky sports and expensive mobiles I will take the cats myself!!!
[quote][p][bold]thoroughbred[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Old age pensioner[/bold] wrote: I got rid of the cat because of the bedroom tax, god give me strength, why did it have bedroom of its own and your now down sizing. Send your answers to the town hall on a postage stamp please!![/p][/quote]Idiot...people are getting rid of their beloved pets, because bedroom tax has forced them to move into smaller home where pets are not allowed. Obviously not a choice YOU will ever have to make from your kennel![/p][/quote]And you genuinely believe what you have just said, well your the idiot not me, the bedroom tax is not a tax but a reduction in benifits because they have spare bedrooms whilst othe poor folk don't have adiquat housing, let me know where these hundreds of people have moved to, stop reading the papers mate stick to the facts, like some other posters on here state, when they get rid of Sky sports and expensive mobiles I will take the cats myself!!! Old age pensioner
  • Score: 5

6:09am Sat 31 May 14

liddle 'un says...

I can never understand the scrounging class and their sense of entitlement.

One person rattling around in a three bedroom house, all at taxpayer's expense.

If only they'd worked a bit harder at school/not got pregnant at 16/knuckled down to some graft it could all have been very different.
I can never understand the scrounging class and their sense of entitlement. One person rattling around in a three bedroom house, all at taxpayer's expense. If only they'd worked a bit harder at school/not got pregnant at 16/knuckled down to some graft it could all have been very different. liddle 'un
  • Score: 5

7:41am Sat 31 May 14

2 for 5p ridesagain says...

karltop wrote:
More and more excuses for the feckless, idle scum that this paper seems so keen to promote and protect. Pathetic.
Spot on
[quote][p][bold]karltop[/bold] wrote: More and more excuses for the feckless, idle scum that this paper seems so keen to promote and protect. Pathetic.[/p][/quote]Spot on 2 for 5p ridesagain
  • Score: -2

11:56am Sat 31 May 14

HarryBosch says...

To Link stray cats with the bedroom tax really is stretching it too far.
There is an issue with the bedroom tax, there 'may' be an issue with some stray cats, but these are two separate issues. I am surprised that LT have lent credibility to this story.
To Link stray cats with the bedroom tax really is stretching it too far. There is an issue with the bedroom tax, there 'may' be an issue with some stray cats, but these are two separate issues. I am surprised that LT have lent credibility to this story. HarryBosch
  • Score: 6

7:36pm Sat 31 May 14

grumpyoldlady says...

Can thoroughbred explain how Eunice provided her with babies!!!! Or do you mean kittens? I always laugh when people refer to themselves as their pet's mummy and daddy. Babies are human - kittens are animals.
Can thoroughbred explain how Eunice provided her with babies!!!! Or do you mean kittens? I always laugh when people refer to themselves as their pet's mummy and daddy. Babies are human - kittens are animals. grumpyoldlady
  • Score: -4

8:38pm Sat 31 May 14

Jerzei Balowski says...

karltop wrote:
A note for the LT. The "bedroom tax" is not a tax. It is a reduction in benefits. People living for free in taxpayer funded houses should not have pets.
Agreed, it is disgraceful that the LT continues to use the politically biased term "bedroom tax" in its reporting, like some Labour election pamphlet. The correct term in law, as stated in the Welfare Reform Act 2012, is "Under-occupancy penalty".
[quote][p][bold]karltop[/bold] wrote: A note for the LT. The "bedroom tax" is not a tax. It is a reduction in benefits. People living for free in taxpayer funded houses should not have pets.[/p][/quote]Agreed, it is disgraceful that the LT continues to use the politically biased term "bedroom tax" in its reporting, like some Labour election pamphlet. The correct term in law, as stated in the Welfare Reform Act 2012, is "Under-occupancy penalty". Jerzei Balowski
  • Score: 0

11:03am Sun 1 Jun 14

2 for 5p ridesagain says...

It's called a SPARE room subsidy.
The gravy train just pulled into the station called reality.
It's called a SPARE room subsidy. The gravy train just pulled into the station called reality. 2 for 5p ridesagain
  • Score: 3

11:49am Sun 1 Jun 14

petestan says...

So all you lot who say the bedroom tax is fantastic are really nice people, boy I would really like to be friends with you. The bedroom tax is the Tories way of yet again taking money off the poor and giving even more of it to their rich buddies. I can't believe the Lib-Dems helped them do it I thought they were different and cared about their fellow humans but obviously I was wrong.
If you are disabled and need the spare bedroom for equipment or a carer to stay overnight sometimes the Tories don't care they still take the money off you. They say oh you can apply to the local council we have a special exemption fund, not mentioning that it's all depends on whether that individual council decides if you are worthy or not to be made exempt or whether they still have any money left in their exemption pot.
By the way I do not claim this or other benefits but I do like to think I care about my fellow human beings who are struggling in these hard times, unlike a lot of people on here.
Oh and you can all vote me down if you like, unlike woolly I don't care about points scored on here I do care about my fellow humans.
So all you lot who say the bedroom tax is fantastic are really nice people, boy I would really like to be friends with you. The bedroom tax is the Tories way of yet again taking money off the poor and giving even more of it to their rich buddies. I can't believe the Lib-Dems helped them do it I thought they were different and cared about their fellow humans but obviously I was wrong. If you are disabled and need the spare bedroom for equipment or a carer to stay overnight sometimes the Tories don't care they still take the money off you. They say oh you can apply to the local council we have a special exemption fund, not mentioning that it's all depends on whether that individual council decides if you are worthy or not to be made exempt or whether they still have any money left in their exemption pot. By the way I do not claim this or other benefits but I do like to think I care about my fellow human beings who are struggling in these hard times, unlike a lot of people on here. Oh and you can all vote me down if you like, unlike woolly I don't care about points scored on here I do care about my fellow humans. petestan
  • Score: 12

9:52pm Sun 1 Jun 14

Old age pensioner says...

petestan wrote:
So all you lot who say the bedroom tax is fantastic are really nice people, boy I would really like to be friends with you. The bedroom tax is the Tories way of yet again taking money off the poor and giving even more of it to their rich buddies. I can't believe the Lib-Dems helped them do it I thought they were different and cared about their fellow humans but obviously I was wrong.
If you are disabled and need the spare bedroom for equipment or a carer to stay overnight sometimes the Tories don't care they still take the money off you. They say oh you can apply to the local council we have a special exemption fund, not mentioning that it's all depends on whether that individual council decides if you are worthy or not to be made exempt or whether they still have any money left in their exemption pot.
By the way I do not claim this or other benefits but I do like to think I care about my fellow human beings who are struggling in these hard times, unlike a lot of people on here.
Oh and you can all vote me down if you like, unlike woolly I don't care about points scored on here I do care about my fellow humans.
Hmmmmm so we all say the bedroom tax is fantastic???????? Show me one post on here that states that, this makes your post pathetic, as for your political suggestions I for one voted UKIP this time so again that shoots your argument down, no the bedroom tax does not exist it's a reduction in benefits if you have a spare bedroom end of, in cases where there is a need for the extra bedroom the people can appeal (quite rightly) so the dumping of poor animals and stating it's "because off" is rubbish.
[quote][p][bold]petestan[/bold] wrote: So all you lot who say the bedroom tax is fantastic are really nice people, boy I would really like to be friends with you. The bedroom tax is the Tories way of yet again taking money off the poor and giving even more of it to their rich buddies. I can't believe the Lib-Dems helped them do it I thought they were different and cared about their fellow humans but obviously I was wrong. If you are disabled and need the spare bedroom for equipment or a carer to stay overnight sometimes the Tories don't care they still take the money off you. They say oh you can apply to the local council we have a special exemption fund, not mentioning that it's all depends on whether that individual council decides if you are worthy or not to be made exempt or whether they still have any money left in their exemption pot. By the way I do not claim this or other benefits but I do like to think I care about my fellow human beings who are struggling in these hard times, unlike a lot of people on here. Oh and you can all vote me down if you like, unlike woolly I don't care about points scored on here I do care about my fellow humans.[/p][/quote]Hmmmmm so we all say the bedroom tax is fantastic???????? Show me one post on here that states that, this makes your post pathetic, as for your political suggestions I for one voted UKIP this time so again that shoots your argument down, no the bedroom tax does not exist it's a reduction in benefits if you have a spare bedroom end of, in cases where there is a need for the extra bedroom the people can appeal (quite rightly) so the dumping of poor animals and stating it's "because off" is rubbish. Old age pensioner
  • Score: 1

5:59pm Mon 2 Jun 14

Manda74 says...

Eunice is such a lovely caring lady who pays for all the abused animals she looks after she should be given money by the government for her to carry on her fantastic work....people shouldn't be so selfish and ignorant when it comes to owning a pet or don't buy one at all!!!
Eunice is such a lovely caring lady who pays for all the abused animals she looks after she should be given money by the government for her to carry on her fantastic work....people shouldn't be so selfish and ignorant when it comes to owning a pet or don't buy one at all!!! Manda74
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree