When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
Overloaded plug socket sparks Accrington house blaze
FIRE crews battled a blaze in an Accrington kitchen this afternoon.
Crews from Hyndburn and Rawtenstall were called to the property in Timber Street shortly before 2pm.
The kitchen sustained extensive fire damage with the lounge sustaining severe smoke and heat damage.
The remainder of the property sustained moderate smoke damage.
A fire service spokesman said: “On arrival crews were met by the owner who stated the kitchen was on fire, the fire was near the fridge.
“Two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the property and found the kitchen well alight.
“A hose reel was used to extinguish the fire.
“The occupier was initially alerted by the smell of smoke, as she opened the kitchen door to investigate, flames and smoke were visible beneath the fridge, as the occupier attempted to move the fridge the flames intensified.
“It would appear the fire stated due to an overloaded plug socket, and spread due to the decoration within the kitchen.”
An ambulance was called for the occupier as a precaution due to smoke inhalation.
A working smoke alarm was fitted within the property.