When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
Oswaldtwistle blaze pair 'saved' by smoke alarm
A FORGOTTEN chip pan sparked a fire at an Oswaldtwistle home in the early hours of this morning.
Fire crews were called to Stanley Street at 3.20am after the sleeping occupants were alerted by their smoke alarm.
Firefighters said the couple, both in their 40s, had been out for a drink last night, and the man started cooking some chips on the hob before falling asleep.
When both occupants were woken by the smoke alarm, the man tried to tackle the blaze but cut his foot on some glass and eventually escaped outside.
There was fire and smoke damage to the kitchen and the couple were both taken to hospital to be checked over.
Watch manager Tony Spencer said the smoke alarm had ‘genuinely saved their lives’.
Comments are closed on this article.