When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
£6m project to help East Lancs youngsters supported by council boss
1:29pm Tuesday 14th January 2014 in News
COUNCIL boss Jennifer Mein said a £6 million project to protect vulnerable youngsters will ‘help tackle problems before they turn into crises’.
As revealed in The Lancashire Telegraph last month, an early intervention team is set to be launched after a surge in abuse referrals.
Nearly 30 social workers, with the support of Lancashire Police, will work as part of pilot projects in Burnley and Preston, to safeguard young victims of family break-ups, steer would-be young offenders away from criminality and prevent children running away from home.
Councillor Mein, leader of Lancashire County Council, said: “Tackling potential problems at an early stage produces better results for people and reduces the demand on public services. Should we approve these proposals, we will create two teams which will work alongside the police to support the most vulnerable children, families and adults in our society.”
Comments are closed on this article.