When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
Rogue landlords to be targeted in new initiative
5:00pm Monday 30th December 2013 in News
ROGUE landlords who rent out overcrowded and potentially dangerous homes in East Lancashire are set to be targeted as part of a £109,000 initiative.
Housing Minister Kris Hopkins has confirmed that a Pennine Lancashire consortium has secured £109,000 from the Department for Communities and Local Government.
Pendle MP Andrew Stephenson said the investment, which follows an announcement regarding the New Homes Bonus last week, should be welcomed.
He said: “Issues remain with rogue landlords and I am pleased Pennine Lancashire has secured this additional funding to help address this issue.”
Mr Hopkins said: “While the majority of tenants are happy with their homes, there are a small number of rogue landlords who rent out dangerous and overcrowded properties, with little regard to the misery caused to their tenants. This has consequences which can affect communities through noise problems, sanitation issues, benefit fraud and anti-social behaviour.
“I am determined to see an improvement in standards across the private rented sector. These funds will enable (councils) to identify and take decisive action to drive these rogue landlords out of the market.”
The minister has called upon residents to hold local authorities, which have been awarded a share of the Whitehall handouts, to account, to ensure the funding is spent wisely.
Town hall leaders in East Lancashire have taken steps to crack down on irresponsible landlords, most recently through selective licensing agreements.
Blackburn with Darwen licenses landlords in Infirmary, Ewood, Mill Hill and parts of central Darwen, and Burnley does the same in Trinity ward, while the scheme also operates in parts of Hyndburn.
Housing officials in Burnley are also consulting about introducing such measures in Queensgate and Gannow.
Comments are closed on this article.