Fire at young couple's Oswaldtwistle home

First published in News

A YOUNG couple who took their smoke alarms down to redecorate escaped a fire at their home caused by a candle left burning.

The couple, who live in Victoria Street, Oswaldtwistle, went to bed on Boxing Day night but the man heard a crackling sound at around 5am yesterday ((FRI)), a fire service spokesman said.

The candle had set fire to their Christmas decorations.

The spokesman added: “He went down to investigate and found the fire.

“They were lucky and it could have been a worse outcome.”

The couple tackled the fire themselves with a bucket of water.

The spokesman said: “We advise against people tackling the fire themselves, but in this case it did save his front room.

“The damage was quite bad, but it could have been worse. It was confined to one room.”

Firefighters from Hyndburn station, who were wearing breathing apparatus, tackled the blaze, which the couple’s three cats also escaped from.

Assistant watch manager Alex Fletcher said: “This incident shows the importance of having a working smoke detector at all times, and the dangers of unattended candles during the Christmas period.

“If you are in any doubt, please contact your local fire station for advice.”

Comments (6)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:41am Sun 29 Dec 13

Steven11 says...

They were very fortunate no lives were lost .
They were very fortunate no lives were lost . Steven11
  • Score: 1

1:05am Sun 29 Dec 13

Michael@ClitheroeSince58 says...

Steven11 wrote:
They were very fortunate no lives were lost .
that's so astute of you
[quote][p][bold]Steven11[/bold] wrote: They were very fortunate no lives were lost .[/p][/quote]that's so astute of you Michael@ClitheroeSince58
  • Score: -3

8:17am Sun 29 Dec 13

3 for 10p says...

What's the difference between the long term unemployed and a fireman. ?The fireman costs us tax payers much more money.
What's the difference between the long term unemployed and a fireman. ?The fireman costs us tax payers much more money. 3 for 10p
  • Score: -8

8:23am Sun 29 Dec 13

mys says...

Glad everyone was ok but if it only took a bucket of water to put out why did the fire brigade come out?
Glad everyone was ok but if it only took a bucket of water to put out why did the fire brigade come out? mys
  • Score: 2

11:16am Sun 29 Dec 13

Rich Riley says...

mys wrote:
Glad everyone was ok but if it only took a bucket of water to put out why did the fire brigade come out?
Because the fire brigade want the public to think that they're needed 24/7. This is yet another 'no news' story fed to the paper by the fire brigade themselves.
[quote][p][bold]mys[/bold] wrote: Glad everyone was ok but if it only took a bucket of water to put out why did the fire brigade come out?[/p][/quote]Because the fire brigade want the public to think that they're needed 24/7. This is yet another 'no news' story fed to the paper by the fire brigade themselves. Rich Riley
  • Score: -5

2:47pm Sun 29 Dec 13

blkbrn lad says...

Ask the couple if the fire service were needed. They rang them, after all !
Ask the couple if the fire service were needed. They rang them, after all ! blkbrn lad
  • Score: 2

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree