Mid-life alcohol and drugs crisis in East Lancashire

Blackburn Citizen: Mid-life alcohol and drugs crisis in East Lancashire Mid-life alcohol and drugs crisis in East Lancashire

NHS officials have reported a surge in the number of middle-aged patients being admitted to hospital for alcohol and drug abuse.

East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust said drug and alcohol dependence accounted for about a fifth of emergency admissions am-ong those aged 40 to 44, the highest proportion of any age group, and the problem was putting unnec-essary strain on staff.

For those aged between 45 and 49, the figure is 18per cent.

Although the overall levels of binge drinking are declining, the profile of bingers is older than it was a decade ago.

In 2002/3, the typical age for an admission to hospital due to binge drinking was 16, rising to 19 in 2004/5, and 32 in 2012/13.

The Dr Foster medical research team said attitudes, and behaviour, among the young with regard to drugs and alcohol were improving, but ‘the same cannot be said about their parents’.

Blackburn with Darwen has some of the highest rates of alcohol-related hospital admissions in the country, with about 7,000 booze-related cases in in 2011/12.

Burnley also features in the ‘top 10’.

Karen Sargeson, alcohol liaison nurse at East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust, said: “It is an issue as many of these people do come to the emergency department (ED) via ambulance, but the alcohol liaison team work with the clinicians in the ED to see these patients and ensure they are not admitted if there are no medical concerns and, instead, provide a brief intervention, signposting and ensure they are safe.

“We are also working with some frequent attenders at the moment who come to the trust in this way, ensuring that they have a pathway and a care plan that is followed by the staff in ED to turn them round.

“These patients do put a strain on the system and we work closely with Inspire, the drug and alcohol service, to ensure that they receive the appropriate care outside of the emergency department.”

A Department of Health spokesman said: “We are helping the NHS target harmful drinkers with measures such as increasing the use of interventions by health professionals, and introducing alcohol liaison nurses in accident and emergency.”

Comments (9)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:37pm Fri 13 Dec 13

Sajdin says...

Drugs are banned, ban alcohol.
Drugs are banned, ban alcohol. Sajdin

10:58pm Fri 13 Dec 13

Happy-Dude says...

Sajdin wrote:
Drugs are banned, ban alcohol.
So it is ok to ban alcohol because of a minority that are silly. A lot of people enjoy a drink to socialise after work or meet with friends etc, There are things I want to see banned in this country but would not happen like "halal" foods, I refuse to eat or buy halal, I know I am going onto a subject that is off the story but my point is freedom of choice, halal is a no-no for me the same as alcohol is a no-no for you, putting a comment like you have is disgraceful and taking away the freedom of choice for the minority and is not the answer, there are a lot of sensible drinkers out there (me included) why should we suffer??
[quote][p][bold]Sajdin[/bold] wrote: Drugs are banned, ban alcohol.[/p][/quote]So it is ok to ban alcohol because of a minority that are silly. A lot of people enjoy a drink to socialise after work or meet with friends etc, There are things I want to see banned in this country but would not happen like "halal" foods, I refuse to eat or buy halal, I know I am going onto a subject that is off the story but my point is freedom of choice, halal is a no-no for me the same as alcohol is a no-no for you, putting a comment like you have is disgraceful and taking away the freedom of choice for the minority and is not the answer, there are a lot of sensible drinkers out there (me included) why should we suffer?? Happy-Dude

12:17am Sat 14 Dec 13

Sajdin says...

Happy-Dude wrote:
Sajdin wrote:
Drugs are banned, ban alcohol.
So it is ok to ban alcohol because of a minority that are silly. A lot of people enjoy a drink to socialise after work or meet with friends etc, There are things I want to see banned in this country but would not happen like "halal" foods, I refuse to eat or buy halal, I know I am going onto a subject that is off the story but my point is freedom of choice, halal is a no-no for me the same as alcohol is a no-no for you, putting a comment like you have is disgraceful and taking away the freedom of choice for the minority and is not the answer, there are a lot of sensible drinkers out there (me included) why should we suffer??
You make some valid points, however how would you explain drugs?

You raise the issue of Halal foods. Halal foods do not cause people to get out of they mind and loose control, put other people lives in danger not forgetting them self, put a large burden on society by causing criminal damage, taking the resources up with the police, ambulance and NHS service. Halal foods doesn't cause people to commit domestic violence or child abuse. Halal foods doesn't impair you to a point where you could kill someone if you drove.

So to put Halal food in the same context as alcohol is just plain stupid. And to make it clear, yes its abused by a minority who spoil it for the majority, its not about freedom of choice but rather a burden on society.

Whats also interesting is the fact that you decided to mention Halal in the first place. I guess this was based on my username? But yet you seem to twist everything into a religious matter?

You say "why should we suffer??" why would you suffer if you did not drink alcohol, alcohol is not a necessity in life, so you wouldn't die without it, or would you?

If we didn't have alcohol in society, how much money could the NHS put into more nurses and doctors? If we didn't have alcohol in society, how much money could the Police put into PC's?
[quote][p][bold]Happy-Dude[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Sajdin[/bold] wrote: Drugs are banned, ban alcohol.[/p][/quote]So it is ok to ban alcohol because of a minority that are silly. A lot of people enjoy a drink to socialise after work or meet with friends etc, There are things I want to see banned in this country but would not happen like "halal" foods, I refuse to eat or buy halal, I know I am going onto a subject that is off the story but my point is freedom of choice, halal is a no-no for me the same as alcohol is a no-no for you, putting a comment like you have is disgraceful and taking away the freedom of choice for the minority and is not the answer, there are a lot of sensible drinkers out there (me included) why should we suffer??[/p][/quote]You make some valid points, however how would you explain drugs? You raise the issue of Halal foods. Halal foods do not cause people to get out of they mind and loose control, put other people lives in danger not forgetting them self, put a large burden on society by causing criminal damage, taking the resources up with the police, ambulance and NHS service. Halal foods doesn't cause people to commit domestic violence or child abuse. Halal foods doesn't impair you to a point where you could kill someone if you drove. So to put Halal food in the same context as alcohol is just plain stupid. And to make it clear, yes its abused by a minority who spoil it for the majority, its not about freedom of choice but rather a burden on society. Whats also interesting is the fact that you decided to mention Halal in the first place. I guess this was based on my username? But yet you seem to twist everything into a religious matter? You say "why should we suffer??" why would you suffer if you did not drink alcohol, alcohol is not a necessity in life, so you wouldn't die without it, or would you? If we didn't have alcohol in society, how much money could the NHS put into more nurses and doctors? If we didn't have alcohol in society, how much money could the Police put into PC's? Sajdin

12:19am Sat 14 Dec 13

captain ian says...

Wouldn't the world be a much better place without drugs and alcohol if only the goverments this world could get togeather and get tough on drug dealers and bring in prohibition
Wouldn't the world be a much better place without drugs and alcohol if only the goverments this world could get togeather and get tough on drug dealers and bring in prohibition captain ian

12:25am Sat 14 Dec 13

Sajdin says...

captain ian wrote:
Wouldn't the world be a much better place without drugs and alcohol if only the goverments this world could get togeather and get tough on drug dealers and bring in prohibition
Indeed.
[quote][p][bold]captain ian[/bold] wrote: Wouldn't the world be a much better place without drugs and alcohol if only the goverments this world could get togeather and get tough on drug dealers and bring in prohibition[/p][/quote]Indeed. Sajdin

2:02am Sat 14 Dec 13

Happy-Dude says...

Sajdin wrote:
Happy-Dude wrote:
Sajdin wrote:
Drugs are banned, ban alcohol.
So it is ok to ban alcohol because of a minority that are silly. A lot of people enjoy a drink to socialise after work or meet with friends etc, There are things I want to see banned in this country but would not happen like "halal" foods, I refuse to eat or buy halal, I know I am going onto a subject that is off the story but my point is freedom of choice, halal is a no-no for me the same as alcohol is a no-no for you, putting a comment like you have is disgraceful and taking away the freedom of choice for the minority and is not the answer, there are a lot of sensible drinkers out there (me included) why should we suffer??
You make some valid points, however how would you explain drugs?

You raise the issue of Halal foods. Halal foods do not cause people to get out of they mind and loose control, put other people lives in danger not forgetting them self, put a large burden on society by causing criminal damage, taking the resources up with the police, ambulance and NHS service. Halal foods doesn't cause people to commit domestic violence or child abuse. Halal foods doesn't impair you to a point where you could kill someone if you drove.

So to put Halal food in the same context as alcohol is just plain stupid. And to make it clear, yes its abused by a minority who spoil it for the majority, its not about freedom of choice but rather a burden on society.

Whats also interesting is the fact that you decided to mention Halal in the first place. I guess this was based on my username? But yet you seem to twist everything into a religious matter?

You say "why should we suffer??" why would you suffer if you did not drink alcohol, alcohol is not a necessity in life, so you wouldn't die without it, or would you?

If we didn't have alcohol in society, how much money could the NHS put into more nurses and doctors? If we didn't have alcohol in society, how much money could the Police put into PC's?
My point is that you said something that you disagree with and I have mentioned what I disagree with, my point is that you come on saying "ban alcohol" like your against alcohol or something without any points, I am disgraced at the country for the similar contrast that I cannot get my favourite pizza which is ham and pineapple, so your against alcohol the same way as me with halal, in other words nothing is going to happen...and no I didn't see your username...drugs are for the benefit cheaters pretending that they are in poverty whinging about bedroom tax, which is my point exactly when saying freedom of choice and speech
[quote][p][bold]Sajdin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Happy-Dude[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Sajdin[/bold] wrote: Drugs are banned, ban alcohol.[/p][/quote]So it is ok to ban alcohol because of a minority that are silly. A lot of people enjoy a drink to socialise after work or meet with friends etc, There are things I want to see banned in this country but would not happen like "halal" foods, I refuse to eat or buy halal, I know I am going onto a subject that is off the story but my point is freedom of choice, halal is a no-no for me the same as alcohol is a no-no for you, putting a comment like you have is disgraceful and taking away the freedom of choice for the minority and is not the answer, there are a lot of sensible drinkers out there (me included) why should we suffer??[/p][/quote]You make some valid points, however how would you explain drugs? You raise the issue of Halal foods. Halal foods do not cause people to get out of they mind and loose control, put other people lives in danger not forgetting them self, put a large burden on society by causing criminal damage, taking the resources up with the police, ambulance and NHS service. Halal foods doesn't cause people to commit domestic violence or child abuse. Halal foods doesn't impair you to a point where you could kill someone if you drove. So to put Halal food in the same context as alcohol is just plain stupid. And to make it clear, yes its abused by a minority who spoil it for the majority, its not about freedom of choice but rather a burden on society. Whats also interesting is the fact that you decided to mention Halal in the first place. I guess this was based on my username? But yet you seem to twist everything into a religious matter? You say "why should we suffer??" why would you suffer if you did not drink alcohol, alcohol is not a necessity in life, so you wouldn't die without it, or would you? If we didn't have alcohol in society, how much money could the NHS put into more nurses and doctors? If we didn't have alcohol in society, how much money could the Police put into PC's?[/p][/quote]My point is that you said something that you disagree with and I have mentioned what I disagree with, my point is that you come on saying "ban alcohol" like your against alcohol or something without any points, I am disgraced at the country for the similar contrast that I cannot get my favourite pizza which is ham and pineapple, so your against alcohol the same way as me with halal, in other words nothing is going to happen...and no I didn't see your username...drugs are for the benefit cheaters pretending that they are in poverty whinging about bedroom tax, which is my point exactly when saying freedom of choice and speech Happy-Dude

11:04am Sat 14 Dec 13

Sajdin says...

Happy-Dude wrote:
Sajdin wrote:
Happy-Dude wrote:
Sajdin wrote:
Drugs are banned, ban alcohol.
So it is ok to ban alcohol because of a minority that are silly. A lot of people enjoy a drink to socialise after work or meet with friends etc, There are things I want to see banned in this country but would not happen like "halal" foods, I refuse to eat or buy halal, I know I am going onto a subject that is off the story but my point is freedom of choice, halal is a no-no for me the same as alcohol is a no-no for you, putting a comment like you have is disgraceful and taking away the freedom of choice for the minority and is not the answer, there are a lot of sensible drinkers out there (me included) why should we suffer??
You make some valid points, however how would you explain drugs?

You raise the issue of Halal foods. Halal foods do not cause people to get out of they mind and loose control, put other people lives in danger not forgetting them self, put a large burden on society by causing criminal damage, taking the resources up with the police, ambulance and NHS service. Halal foods doesn't cause people to commit domestic violence or child abuse. Halal foods doesn't impair you to a point where you could kill someone if you drove.

So to put Halal food in the same context as alcohol is just plain stupid. And to make it clear, yes its abused by a minority who spoil it for the majority, its not about freedom of choice but rather a burden on society.

Whats also interesting is the fact that you decided to mention Halal in the first place. I guess this was based on my username? But yet you seem to twist everything into a religious matter?

You say "why should we suffer??" why would you suffer if you did not drink alcohol, alcohol is not a necessity in life, so you wouldn't die without it, or would you?

If we didn't have alcohol in society, how much money could the NHS put into more nurses and doctors? If we didn't have alcohol in society, how much money could the Police put into PC's?
My point is that you said something that you disagree with and I have mentioned what I disagree with, my point is that you come on saying "ban alcohol" like your against alcohol or something without any points, I am disgraced at the country for the similar contrast that I cannot get my favourite pizza which is ham and pineapple, so your against alcohol the same way as me with halal, in other words nothing is going to happen...and no I didn't see your username...drugs are for the benefit cheaters pretending that they are in poverty whinging about bedroom tax, which is my point exactly when saying freedom of choice and speech
Yes I am against alcohol not just because my religion tells me not to drink it, because of the burden minority of drinkers put onto this country. Yes I said "ban alcohol" without any points, but why do I need to make my points, everyone in this country should see the effects of the substance. You say you disagree with Halal foods why? You say you cannot get your favorite pizza, why can you not?

Why are drugs banned? Again if the minority abuse them and cause problems within this country, sound familiar ?
[quote][p][bold]Happy-Dude[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Sajdin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Happy-Dude[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Sajdin[/bold] wrote: Drugs are banned, ban alcohol.[/p][/quote]So it is ok to ban alcohol because of a minority that are silly. A lot of people enjoy a drink to socialise after work or meet with friends etc, There are things I want to see banned in this country but would not happen like "halal" foods, I refuse to eat or buy halal, I know I am going onto a subject that is off the story but my point is freedom of choice, halal is a no-no for me the same as alcohol is a no-no for you, putting a comment like you have is disgraceful and taking away the freedom of choice for the minority and is not the answer, there are a lot of sensible drinkers out there (me included) why should we suffer??[/p][/quote]You make some valid points, however how would you explain drugs? You raise the issue of Halal foods. Halal foods do not cause people to get out of they mind and loose control, put other people lives in danger not forgetting them self, put a large burden on society by causing criminal damage, taking the resources up with the police, ambulance and NHS service. Halal foods doesn't cause people to commit domestic violence or child abuse. Halal foods doesn't impair you to a point where you could kill someone if you drove. So to put Halal food in the same context as alcohol is just plain stupid. And to make it clear, yes its abused by a minority who spoil it for the majority, its not about freedom of choice but rather a burden on society. Whats also interesting is the fact that you decided to mention Halal in the first place. I guess this was based on my username? But yet you seem to twist everything into a religious matter? You say "why should we suffer??" why would you suffer if you did not drink alcohol, alcohol is not a necessity in life, so you wouldn't die without it, or would you? If we didn't have alcohol in society, how much money could the NHS put into more nurses and doctors? If we didn't have alcohol in society, how much money could the Police put into PC's?[/p][/quote]My point is that you said something that you disagree with and I have mentioned what I disagree with, my point is that you come on saying "ban alcohol" like your against alcohol or something without any points, I am disgraced at the country for the similar contrast that I cannot get my favourite pizza which is ham and pineapple, so your against alcohol the same way as me with halal, in other words nothing is going to happen...and no I didn't see your username...drugs are for the benefit cheaters pretending that they are in poverty whinging about bedroom tax, which is my point exactly when saying freedom of choice and speech[/p][/quote]Yes I am against alcohol not just because my religion tells me not to drink it, because of the burden minority of drinkers put onto this country. Yes I said "ban alcohol" without any points, but why do I need to make my points, everyone in this country should see the effects of the substance. You say you disagree with Halal foods why? You say you cannot get your favorite pizza, why can you not? Why are drugs banned? Again if the minority abuse them and cause problems within this country, sound familiar ? Sajdin

2:18pm Sat 14 Dec 13

thermio says...

Sajdin wrote:
Happy-Dude wrote:
Sajdin wrote:
Happy-Dude wrote:
Sajdin wrote:
Drugs are banned, ban alcohol.
So it is ok to ban alcohol because of a minority that are silly. A lot of people enjoy a drink to socialise after work or meet with friends etc, There are things I want to see banned in this country but would not happen like "halal" foods, I refuse to eat or buy halal, I know I am going onto a subject that is off the story but my point is freedom of choice, halal is a no-no for me the same as alcohol is a no-no for you, putting a comment like you have is disgraceful and taking away the freedom of choice for the minority and is not the answer, there are a lot of sensible drinkers out there (me included) why should we suffer??
You make some valid points, however how would you explain drugs?

You raise the issue of Halal foods. Halal foods do not cause people to get out of they mind and loose control, put other people lives in danger not forgetting them self, put a large burden on society by causing criminal damage, taking the resources up with the police, ambulance and NHS service. Halal foods doesn't cause people to commit domestic violence or child abuse. Halal foods doesn't impair you to a point where you could kill someone if you drove.

So to put Halal food in the same context as alcohol is just plain stupid. And to make it clear, yes its abused by a minority who spoil it for the majority, its not about freedom of choice but rather a burden on society.

Whats also interesting is the fact that you decided to mention Halal in the first place. I guess this was based on my username? But yet you seem to twist everything into a religious matter?

You say "why should we suffer??" why would you suffer if you did not drink alcohol, alcohol is not a necessity in life, so you wouldn't die without it, or would you?

If we didn't have alcohol in society, how much money could the NHS put into more nurses and doctors? If we didn't have alcohol in society, how much money could the Police put into PC's?
My point is that you said something that you disagree with and I have mentioned what I disagree with, my point is that you come on saying "ban alcohol" like your against alcohol or something without any points, I am disgraced at the country for the similar contrast that I cannot get my favourite pizza which is ham and pineapple, so your against alcohol the same way as me with halal, in other words nothing is going to happen...and no I didn't see your username...drugs are for the benefit cheaters pretending that they are in poverty whinging about bedroom tax, which is my point exactly when saying freedom of choice and speech
Yes I am against alcohol not just because my religion tells me not to drink it, because of the burden minority of drinkers put onto this country. Yes I said "ban alcohol" without any points, but why do I need to make my points, everyone in this country should see the effects of the substance. You say you disagree with Halal foods why? You say you cannot get your favorite pizza, why can you not?

Why are drugs banned? Again if the minority abuse them and cause problems within this country, sound familiar ?
If the Government banned it then I think we all know who would continue to sell it.

Where do you think the local kids get their alcohol/tobacco/glue
/butane/heroin/cocai
ne/mcat/plant food from??
[quote][p][bold]Sajdin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Happy-Dude[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Sajdin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Happy-Dude[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Sajdin[/bold] wrote: Drugs are banned, ban alcohol.[/p][/quote]So it is ok to ban alcohol because of a minority that are silly. A lot of people enjoy a drink to socialise after work or meet with friends etc, There are things I want to see banned in this country but would not happen like "halal" foods, I refuse to eat or buy halal, I know I am going onto a subject that is off the story but my point is freedom of choice, halal is a no-no for me the same as alcohol is a no-no for you, putting a comment like you have is disgraceful and taking away the freedom of choice for the minority and is not the answer, there are a lot of sensible drinkers out there (me included) why should we suffer??[/p][/quote]You make some valid points, however how would you explain drugs? You raise the issue of Halal foods. Halal foods do not cause people to get out of they mind and loose control, put other people lives in danger not forgetting them self, put a large burden on society by causing criminal damage, taking the resources up with the police, ambulance and NHS service. Halal foods doesn't cause people to commit domestic violence or child abuse. Halal foods doesn't impair you to a point where you could kill someone if you drove. So to put Halal food in the same context as alcohol is just plain stupid. And to make it clear, yes its abused by a minority who spoil it for the majority, its not about freedom of choice but rather a burden on society. Whats also interesting is the fact that you decided to mention Halal in the first place. I guess this was based on my username? But yet you seem to twist everything into a religious matter? You say "why should we suffer??" why would you suffer if you did not drink alcohol, alcohol is not a necessity in life, so you wouldn't die without it, or would you? If we didn't have alcohol in society, how much money could the NHS put into more nurses and doctors? If we didn't have alcohol in society, how much money could the Police put into PC's?[/p][/quote]My point is that you said something that you disagree with and I have mentioned what I disagree with, my point is that you come on saying "ban alcohol" like your against alcohol or something without any points, I am disgraced at the country for the similar contrast that I cannot get my favourite pizza which is ham and pineapple, so your against alcohol the same way as me with halal, in other words nothing is going to happen...and no I didn't see your username...drugs are for the benefit cheaters pretending that they are in poverty whinging about bedroom tax, which is my point exactly when saying freedom of choice and speech[/p][/quote]Yes I am against alcohol not just because my religion tells me not to drink it, because of the burden minority of drinkers put onto this country. Yes I said "ban alcohol" without any points, but why do I need to make my points, everyone in this country should see the effects of the substance. You say you disagree with Halal foods why? You say you cannot get your favorite pizza, why can you not? Why are drugs banned? Again if the minority abuse them and cause problems within this country, sound familiar ?[/p][/quote]If the Government banned it then I think we all know who would continue to sell it. Where do you think the local kids get their alcohol/tobacco/glue /butane/heroin/cocai ne/mcat/plant food from?? thermio

3:47pm Sat 14 Dec 13

Sajdin says...

thermio wrote:
Sajdin wrote:
Happy-Dude wrote:
Sajdin wrote:
Happy-Dude wrote:
Sajdin wrote:
Drugs are banned, ban alcohol.
So it is ok to ban alcohol because of a minority that are silly. A lot of people enjoy a drink to socialise after work or meet with friends etc, There are things I want to see banned in this country but would not happen like "halal" foods, I refuse to eat or buy halal, I know I am going onto a subject that is off the story but my point is freedom of choice, halal is a no-no for me the same as alcohol is a no-no for you, putting a comment like you have is disgraceful and taking away the freedom of choice for the minority and is not the answer, there are a lot of sensible drinkers out there (me included) why should we suffer??
You make some valid points, however how would you explain drugs?

You raise the issue of Halal foods. Halal foods do not cause people to get out of they mind and loose control, put other people lives in danger not forgetting them self, put a large burden on society by causing criminal damage, taking the resources up with the police, ambulance and NHS service. Halal foods doesn't cause people to commit domestic violence or child abuse. Halal foods doesn't impair you to a point where you could kill someone if you drove.

So to put Halal food in the same context as alcohol is just plain stupid. And to make it clear, yes its abused by a minority who spoil it for the majority, its not about freedom of choice but rather a burden on society.

Whats also interesting is the fact that you decided to mention Halal in the first place. I guess this was based on my username? But yet you seem to twist everything into a religious matter?

You say "why should we suffer??" why would you suffer if you did not drink alcohol, alcohol is not a necessity in life, so you wouldn't die without it, or would you?

If we didn't have alcohol in society, how much money could the NHS put into more nurses and doctors? If we didn't have alcohol in society, how much money could the Police put into PC's?
My point is that you said something that you disagree with and I have mentioned what I disagree with, my point is that you come on saying "ban alcohol" like your against alcohol or something without any points, I am disgraced at the country for the similar contrast that I cannot get my favourite pizza which is ham and pineapple, so your against alcohol the same way as me with halal, in other words nothing is going to happen...and no I didn't see your username...drugs are for the benefit cheaters pretending that they are in poverty whinging about bedroom tax, which is my point exactly when saying freedom of choice and speech
Yes I am against alcohol not just because my religion tells me not to drink it, because of the burden minority of drinkers put onto this country. Yes I said "ban alcohol" without any points, but why do I need to make my points, everyone in this country should see the effects of the substance. You say you disagree with Halal foods why? You say you cannot get your favorite pizza, why can you not?

Why are drugs banned? Again if the minority abuse them and cause problems within this country, sound familiar ?
If the Government banned it then I think we all know who would continue to sell it.

Where do you think the local kids get their alcohol/tobacco/glue

/butane/heroin/cocai

ne/mcat/plant food from??
They get them from shops, whats the point you making?
[quote][p][bold]thermio[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Sajdin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Happy-Dude[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Sajdin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Happy-Dude[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Sajdin[/bold] wrote: Drugs are banned, ban alcohol.[/p][/quote]So it is ok to ban alcohol because of a minority that are silly. A lot of people enjoy a drink to socialise after work or meet with friends etc, There are things I want to see banned in this country but would not happen like "halal" foods, I refuse to eat or buy halal, I know I am going onto a subject that is off the story but my point is freedom of choice, halal is a no-no for me the same as alcohol is a no-no for you, putting a comment like you have is disgraceful and taking away the freedom of choice for the minority and is not the answer, there are a lot of sensible drinkers out there (me included) why should we suffer??[/p][/quote]You make some valid points, however how would you explain drugs? You raise the issue of Halal foods. Halal foods do not cause people to get out of they mind and loose control, put other people lives in danger not forgetting them self, put a large burden on society by causing criminal damage, taking the resources up with the police, ambulance and NHS service. Halal foods doesn't cause people to commit domestic violence or child abuse. Halal foods doesn't impair you to a point where you could kill someone if you drove. So to put Halal food in the same context as alcohol is just plain stupid. And to make it clear, yes its abused by a minority who spoil it for the majority, its not about freedom of choice but rather a burden on society. Whats also interesting is the fact that you decided to mention Halal in the first place. I guess this was based on my username? But yet you seem to twist everything into a religious matter? You say "why should we suffer??" why would you suffer if you did not drink alcohol, alcohol is not a necessity in life, so you wouldn't die without it, or would you? If we didn't have alcohol in society, how much money could the NHS put into more nurses and doctors? If we didn't have alcohol in society, how much money could the Police put into PC's?[/p][/quote]My point is that you said something that you disagree with and I have mentioned what I disagree with, my point is that you come on saying "ban alcohol" like your against alcohol or something without any points, I am disgraced at the country for the similar contrast that I cannot get my favourite pizza which is ham and pineapple, so your against alcohol the same way as me with halal, in other words nothing is going to happen...and no I didn't see your username...drugs are for the benefit cheaters pretending that they are in poverty whinging about bedroom tax, which is my point exactly when saying freedom of choice and speech[/p][/quote]Yes I am against alcohol not just because my religion tells me not to drink it, because of the burden minority of drinkers put onto this country. Yes I said "ban alcohol" without any points, but why do I need to make my points, everyone in this country should see the effects of the substance. You say you disagree with Halal foods why? You say you cannot get your favorite pizza, why can you not? Why are drugs banned? Again if the minority abuse them and cause problems within this country, sound familiar ?[/p][/quote]If the Government banned it then I think we all know who would continue to sell it. Where do you think the local kids get their alcohol/tobacco/glue /butane/heroin/cocai ne/mcat/plant food from??[/p][/quote]They get them from shops, whats the point you making? Sajdin

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree