When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
Lower Darwen girl hailed a hero in blaze
A PROFOUNDLY deaf girl has been hailed a 'hero' after she woke up her family when a fire broke out.
The mother of seven-year-old Tegan Dagg said that she did not think that ‘any of the family would be here now’ if it wasn’t for the quick-thinking actions of her daughter who managed to raise the alarm after she smelt smoke from a kitchen fire caused by chips cooking in an unattended deep fat frying pan.
The Lower Darwen Primary School pupil, who was staying at the terraced house rented by her grandad, in Yates Fold, Blackburn with her mother Sarah, 25 and 19-month-old sister Emily Rae, had been sleeping upstairs when she was disturbed at around 6.15am on Saturday.
Although not wearing her cochlear implants that allow her to hear and help her communicate she ran downstairs to look and screamed to those in the house, who also included her dad, 10-year-old cousin Keaton and auntie Paige, 21 to wake up.
Her mother, Sarah, 25, who was asleep on the settee then fled the building after being disturbed by the noise of other family members escaping.
Two fire engines called to the scene were confronted with smoke pouring out of the front door and bedroom.
They found no smoke alarms had been fitted in the property. The blaze gutted the kitchen.
Sarah, who had only been due to stay at the house over the weekend after moving from their previous home in Harwood Road, Rishton, said: “If it hadn’t been for her I don’t think any of the family would be here now.”
Comments are closed on this article.