When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
East Lancashire trainees make their mark
APPRENTICES from across East Lancashire received top accolades at the North West final of the National Apprenticeship Awards 2013.
The trainees from Blackburn, Burnley, Nelson, Barnoldswick, Clitheroe and Chorley made up eight of the 11 young employees who won or were highly commended by judges. Five employers praised also came from the area.
They received their awards at a ceremony organised by the National Apprenticeship Service at County Hall, Preston.
The 10th National Apprenticeship Awards celebrate outstanding apprentices and their employers. Local winners were:
- Speakman Contractors in Burnley – Award for Medium Employer of the Year.
- Henry Clark from Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council – Intermediate Apprentice of the Year.
- Nichola Mitchell from BAE Systems in Samlesbury – City and Guild Apprenticeship Champion of the Year.
- Bradley Hodgeson from BAE Systems in Samlesbury – Advanced Apprentice of the Year.
Chris Speakman, spokesman for Speakman Contractors, said: “This award is a terrific achievement. We’re a local building services business. A quarter of our workforce are apprentices.”
And Henry Clark said: “I’m extremely proud of this award. I have always wanted to work with local businesses, schools and colleges to help young people develop their skills and my apprenticeship gave me the confidence and skills to do just that.”
Nichola Mitchell said: “I hope my award is down to me being a positive role model for apprentices of the future who are looking for that first step on the career ladder.”
Other award winners were:
- Apprenticeship Champion of the Year: Highly Commended – Andrew Hudson, Graham Engineering, Nelson.
- Intermediate Apprentice of the Year: Highly Commended – Richard Gill from Burnley Borough Council and James Butler from Lancashire County Council in Clitheroe.
- Advanced Apprentice of the Year: Highly Commended – Alastair Smith, Rolls Royce, Barnoldswick.
- Higher Apprentice of the Year: Highly Commended – Tamas Bodis, Rolls Royce, Barnoldswick.
- Small Employer of the Year: Winner – Foran and Blake Hair and Beauty in Chorley; Highly Commended – Connect Technology Group, Burnley and Arthur Padgett, Nelson.
- Large Employer of the Year: Highly Commended – Twin Valley Homes, Blackburn.
Comments are closed on this article.