When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
Claims against East Lancashire Hospitals 'will not help patients'
2:16pm Friday 6th September 2013 in News
EX-NHS worker Brian Hodgson fears a surge of compensation claims against the Royal Blackburn and Burnley General hospitals will only make things worse for patients.
Last month the Lancashire Telegraph revealed that solicitors’ firms were probing at least 120 negligence claims against East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust.
Many have come since NHS chiefs launched a major investigation into the trust’s mortality rates in February, which resulted in inspectors making wide-ranging criticisms of the hospitals in July.
Mr Hodgson, 66, of Barn Meadow Crescent in Rishton, spent three decades working in the health service in Wales, where he headed up health and safety for Glanclwyd Hospital. He said: “The atmosphere has become so caustic now, we can’t keep knocking the hopsitals or we might lose them.
“Villifying the NHS isn’t useful. They are doing their best and we could be throwing away one of our best assets.
“What we need to be doing is offering solutions.”
He said nurses should be fully trained in-house, rather than at university, saying this would improve care.
He also suggested money could be saved and spent elsewhere by charging patients for non-clinical aspects of their hospital stay, such as their meals.
Comments are closed on this article.