When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
Power surge in Blackburn destroys electrical appliances
1:00pm Saturday 17th August 2013 in News
ELECTRICAL appliances went up in smoke when a power surge hit a Blackburn neighbourhood.
The cable fault left homes in Willow Mount without power for more than a day as engineers from electricity provider Electricity North West worked to establish the cause.
Residents said that some of the 17 homes affected were still without working electrical boilers and cookers a week after the incident, although the company has offered to replace broken appliances free of charge.
One couple, Ernest and Barbara Livesey, described how their television set and lamp went up in smoke and they lost more than£80 of food in the incident on Friday, August 9.
Ernest, 76, said: “Our lights went dim, then we heard a loud bang and noticed that our electricity had turned off.
“My wife then noticed that the TV had started to smoke but luckily some workmen outside helped us get it out of the house which was very unsettling.
“We lost our TV, lamp, vacuum, kettle and electric boiler amongst other things.
“Whilst we are happy that they have agreed to replace everything for us, we don’t think that they have responded quickly enough.
“Some people whose boilers have broken will have been left cold for a week and we are worried that they didn’t manage to contact every resident to let them know what happened.”
Neighbour Gordon Bury said: “When the electricity didn’t come back on I was unable to telephone anyone to find out what was going on because I had no phone.
“My cooker broke so I’ve had to eat ready meals but it’s been very difficult in terms of going to the shops and some people may not have been able to even get there at all to stock up.
“Their follow-up care has been weak and they didn’t ask us how we would manage whilst we were waiting for our appliances to be replaced.”
Phil Briggs, response manager for Electricity North West, said: “I apologise for any inconvenience caused to customers by this cable fault including the damage to some appliances.
“We sent teams of engineers to all residents to repair damaged appliances and restored power by generator as soon as it was safe to do so.
“Fortunately, these types of faults are rare but I thank residents for their patience and understanding in this instance.”
Comments are closed on this article.