Smoke alarm saves Oswaldtwistle property

First published in News

FIREFIGHTERS were called to a flat in Oswaldtwistle after a smoke alarm alerted residents.

The crew discovered a contaminant, thought to be oil, had fallen inside a storage heater and begun smouldering.

People in the Higher Heys apartment could smell smoke, but could not find the source, and reset their alarm. When it began beeping again, they called the fire service at 5.15am yesterday.

Crew manager Rob Birtwistle said: “Because they had a working smoke alarm, it made them aware of a potential fire.

“If they didn’t have one, or if it wasn’t working properly, it would have ignited.

“Having a smoke alarm made all the difference, and we advise people to make sure theirs are in good order too.”

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree